my "custom" gauge cluster

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
just finished it this afternoon. Not perfect, but not bad for only about an hours worth of work.

You must be registered for see images attach

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
its a GPS speedometer. I have a ZF S547 with my 86 rear axle, so it was the easiest way to get a speedo back.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a GPS speedometer. I have a ZF S547 with my 86 rear axle, so it was the easiest way to get a speedo back.
I have to ask, is a GPS speedo like that street-legal? It certainly seems like a nice idea (and probably more accurate, for the most part, than a speedo tied to the wheels...although I would be worried about tunnels and major urban areas and such), but I have a feeling the DOT's going to want some sort of speedo tied to the wheels...

Also, I take it you don't have a/c? ...how did you get the fuel gauge to work, and am I missing it, or do you not have an oil pressure gauge?

I've been wanting to do something similar for years, but never had the $$...congrats on finally making it happen ;Sweet

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you run the water temp probe i was told use the back square plug in the head but... its rusted in really good

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i like it.. im working on doing the same thing but in the newer style cluster. I only need tach..speedo..and fuel in the cluster because i have water temp. exhaust temp, boost, oil pressure, volt meter, fuel pressure, and my air tank pressure for my on board air. all on the dash in custom pods. I will be using autometer for my 3 gauges and the rest are glowshift.

tank a look. But you did a great job i like it a lot..congrats

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42938

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
speedo... they sent me the wrong gauge, it was supposed to be a 120mph and they sent me a 200mph. As for the legal aspect, not sure, and not concerned.

my water temp gauge is electric, not manual. I put the sender in the front of the driver head.

Fuel gauge works with the stock wire... yellow/white in the stock cluster.

yes I have oil pressure, click the picture to enlarge and you should see it.

yes I have A/C, right now the vent tubes are just shooting at the floor, I plan to cut holes in the panel once i find suitable ajustable vents, I dont like the floppy stock style.

I think the ohm on the gauge is 73 - 10

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I know its not legal in texas. my bro tried to use one because we swapped a 5 speed into his truck and the teeth on the speedo gear were ate up. pulled into the inspection place a few days later and the guy said that gps speedos were not acceptable for inspection purposes. stupid thing is that we hooked up a different gear(wrong number of teeth) and took it to him the speedo showed about 40-50 mph at 25 and the guy gave us a sticker because the gauge functioned. just putting that out there in case someone is worried about it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also i was curious what fuel level gauge you bought ohm wise. I dont know if your sending unit is the same as mine but let me know what ohms full and empty you bought. I was thinking of just going this rought and setting the 5 points myself.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3310/
I don't recall what the exact numbers are, but '80-'86 and '87-'97 fuel senders use different ohm readings...one's reversed in relation to the other, so if you were to hook an '87+ gauge to an earlier sender, if you got a reading at all, it would be backwards.

I have the numbers (at least for one of the styles) saved on my other computer; will edit this post with the numbers later...

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its not legal in texas. my bro tried to use one because we swapped a 5 speed into his truck and the teeth on the speedo gear were ate up. pulled into the inspection place a few days later and the guy said that gps speedos were not acceptable for inspection purposes. stupid thing is that we hooked up a different gear(wrong number of teeth) and took it to him the speedo showed about 40-50 mph at 25 and the guy gave us a sticker because the gauge functioned. just putting that out there in case someone is worried about it.

If you read the DOT requirements for a vehicle in Texas, nowhere does it say anything about a speedo actually. I never had one in the ford or my chevrolet and they have been getting inspected that way for a very long time.

I got a ticket goin 27 in a 20 with the chevrolet and told the cop speedo didnt work, he said doesnt have to, as long as youre going the speed limit is all that matters. This was a year ago.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
thats weird because we asked multiple places and they said that it was a requirement. I guess that just goes to show that those guys dont know what they are doing. I know that one place tried to give me hell about my straight pipe and i showed them in the book where it said that diesels that old didnt have to have a muffler