my "custom" gauge cluster

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
When I get one inspected all they do is checked miles and vin number and make sure they match the title and that's all. Cost $5 here and only has to be inspected if it comes from out of state

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Txdot online:

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
21. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

I use this everytime I start a new project

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I have never registered anywhere that did Inspections, and being military I dont have to get local inspections done. this speedo does very well in urban/tunnel situations. From reviews I read online these are just about the best you can get, they have a 2second hotlink GPS setup so you dont have to wait for satellite acquisition.

As for the sending units, I just looked online for the info and ordered the VDO gauge that matched it.

Currently in there I have boost, pyro, water temp, oil pressure, fuel level, and speedo. I have a 2 5/8" pod mounted tachometer that is going on the dash.

Total cost is probably about $550 for gauges and sending units. I already had everything else I needed in my scrap pile.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get one inspected all they do is checked miles and vin number and make sure they match the title and that's all. Cost $5 here and only has to be inspected if it comes from out of state

What you got was an out-of-state vehicle transfer sheriff's inspection to ascertain VIN numbers matched title.

That is only required when the vehicle was previously titled in a different state.

Way back in the early 70s, Kentucky did have mandatory vehicle safety inspections, complete with date-punched window-stickers.

Best I remember, it cost seven-bucks per vehicle.

It proved to be nothing but a money racket and was soon so corrupt that a new administration done away with it.

The garage or station doing the inspections received two of those seven dollars; quite a tidy sum back in those days.

My father owned several licensed vehicles and many is the time I saw him take a stack of titles in to a "certified" vehicle inspection center, lay down seven-bucks/title, and come out with valid safety inspection stickers for every one of them, the vehicles all somewhere else, and not a one actually seen by the "inspector". cookoo

Thank goodness that foolishness is no more. LOL

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The legality of a speedometer is probably dependant on what state one lives in. The officials are pretty leniant aound here. My Harley has nothing but an oil pressure gauge, and the police have never given me any greef.

For fuel sending units;
80-86 are 90 ohms empty / 0 ohms full
87-91 are 22.5 ohms empty / 145 ohms full

Autometer makes fuel level gauges for either.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
spoke with speedhut, when I go to the field next week I will be gone for 22 days, going to send speedo in. They are doing a free recalibration and reface to whatever MPH gauge I want. Usually the service is $10, but they are doing mine free... as they should.

I think I'm going with 120mph. Truck gears top out at 105mph.

Also asked them about signal strength with this. It requires 4sats and with the hot link setup it graps signal within 2 seconds of vehicle start up. He said in a tunnel it will drop to zero, then within about 1second of coming out will jump back up to speed. It has had no issues in major cities or forestry. It may wonder 2-3mph up or down when going under long (multiple lane) overpasses.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
here are some updated pictures:

You must be registered for see images attach

turned out pretty well.... 24hr duty tomorrow, then friday I should be able to finish the interior, saturday morning install my new IP and injectors. Then take this thing for a test drive.

Oh, and I double checked my fuel gauge.. it is 73 - 10. Not sure where you are finding 90 - 0.

Here is one of the many references I found:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/fuel-sending-units.htm

Bottom of page there is a table.

I can tell you this gauge is reading about the same as the factory gauge was.

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read another thread, (it on FullSizeBronco) guy makes his own H1, based I think on a PSD, and used that Speedo, he is a Canuck-eean... Apparently its is mandate in Canada to have a GPS monitored speedo...

If anyone is bored and has hours to kill do a search for the thread.. Amazing.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard anything about having a gps speedo up here... Hell, most of my junk went through safties with a non functioning one, my big dumb truck hasn't had a working one in 8 years....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online