My current obsession... 1991\85 MazdaBishi

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you live so far away, otherwise I would be TOTALLY willing to take the Ram50 Shell off your hands ( after you'd taken what you needed)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I paid $900 for the truck and ended up selling some parts off it for $50 and the truck itself for $250. Can't complain about a $600 running diesel engine!

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $900 for the truck and ended up selling some parts off it for $50 and the truck itself for $250. Can't complain about a $609 running diesel engine!

Darn, I'd LOVE to build a little Ram50 4x4

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn, I'd LOVE to build a little Ram50 4x4

It was hard to make the decision to pull the engine for sure... t the start of January I had 2 trucks that I could drive(though the Mazda was failing fast...) And by the 20th I had zero working trucks. Lol
If it had been a 4wd ram, I likely would have just kept it and not subjected myself to this.

But I wanted a little diesel. And after seeing a guy over on an overland\exploration forum do it with a 91 Mazda and a brand new crate D4BH(the Hyundai version of the 4d56) I knew what I needed to do. Lol

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relocated my battery tonight. I was able to pull and modify the stock brackets and tray. Now my air filter can be where the battery was without fighting for space.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also made a decision over a dilemna I've been having.

Before I embarked on this swap journey, inhad bought a brand new radiator for the gas engine in my truck.
Unfortunately, the upper and lower hoses are reversed from the configuration of the engine. But I was bored. And stood around looking for solutions. And I found out if I put the "lower" hose on the engine backwards, it will reach the "upper" hose outlet on the radiator. And if I combine the upper and lower hose from the Mazda with the upper hose from the ram 50, the "upper" hose outlet on the engine will reach the "lower" outlet of the radiator.

It may be hokey. But the Mazda radiator is bigger and should cool more than the mitsubishi. And it's brand new.

So I'm gonna buy some appropriate exhaust pipe, trim the hoses a bit, and give 'er a shot.

Last edited:

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent all day(literally. 6 hours and 150 miles) going to every hose shop and rod shop trying to find someone who could make me a hose with m14x1.5 inverted flare fittings for my power steering hose. A 22 inch hose with a male on one end and female on the other. But no.

I DID find the adapters I need online to go to a JIC hydraulic hose though. So that's what's gonna happen. I just wish it wasn't gonna be $60 for fittings from 2 different vendors...

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaaand "kustom" radiator hose is done.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some more detail work done today. Pulled out a ton of fuel injection wiring from the mazda, made up new battery and ground cables, mounted my glow plug relay, mounted and routed my oil cooler, got my power steering line made and installed, installed my electric fan kit on my radiator, and worked on creating some of the new wiring I need to do. So not really any exciting pics. But I feel like I got a bit done. I hope to be driving this in the next 2 weeks.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped my tank, got it dry, pulled out the pump and installed a hose with a strainer instead. Put new hoses between the tank and tubing in the frame. Got my fuel filter and lift pump installed and wired.
Got my cooling fan relay and wiring installed, got my alternator wired up.

Waiting on a mounting kit for my electric fans and then the radiator goes in tomorrow. Then I'll hook up the heater hoses and fill it.

I still need to wire my glow plug relay and button, as well as extend the solenoid wire.

This thing *should* be running by the weekend!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fired it up today. Gotta get a couple more pieces to finish plumbing the cooling system. But charge and oil light work, on\off work, fuel pump works. I plan to drive it tonight!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Was hoping to drive it tonight. But the slave cylinder is defective(brand new, too!) And I need to make a different throttle cable mount. But it's *THIS* close!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
awesome work! you got this done fast to. let us know how it runs on the road.