My current obsession... 1991\85 MazdaBishi

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought this pickup in November 2018. Immediately realized it needed a new head gasket. Found out it really had a cracked head...
You must be registered for see images attach

As I was doing forum cruising, I kept coming across a particular build thread(across a few forums) where a Mitsubishi 4d55 was placed in one of these. Turns out it was a mostly bolt on procedure if you found the right parts. So my search was on.

Located the bellhousing I required, as well as an oil pan. Both from an 87 mazda b2600(they ran a Mitsubishi gas engine in those).
Since I now had tracked down the hard-to-find parts, I had to find an engine. I contemplated buying a used JDM import. I looked at a brand new 4d56t crate engine. I was starting to save my $$ because either of those was $3000 to start.
Then this showed up a few hundred miles away. 1985 Dodge Ram 50 with the 4d55t engine.

Got to work pulling the motor. Put the bellhousing on the core transmission I had to test fit it before putting in the Mazda. In doing this, I realized the Mitsubishi-appropriate bellhousing had a 15mm shorter profile than the Mazda. This essentially meant the the input shaft would be 15mm longer.
So what's a guy to do? Initially, I cut the "flange" off the Dodge's transmission and I was going to have it milled down, so it would essentially be a 15mm spacer between the engine and transmission.

After having difficulty finding a machine shop willing to do that for me, I had another bright idea.
I started cutting the back "plate" out of the mazda-appropriate bellhousing so I could use it to a)seal the front of the transmission AND b)use it as a spacer between the transmission and bellhousing.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I then bolted it to the front of my core gear box. This way the pads where the bolt heads sate would be protected from my grinder while I took everything else I could(except the seal housing) below their height. Since this plate would do all the sealing duties, I just needed the bellhousing to be able to sit flush on it. I had to dress down the area around the seal so it would go inside the area machined for the input shaft bearing on the backside of the bellhousing.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed busing in the 4 corner holes so the plate and the bellhousing will stay alligned.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I then had to modify my oil pickup tube so it would work with the 4x4 oil pan.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have resealed the engine and installed new timing belts. I am currently waiting for my clutch kit to show up so I can lower the engine I to the Mazda and get to work on wiring and motor mount construction!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a Dakota Digital tach converter coming too. This project will be rockin' and rollin' soon.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for those reading along at home, if I were going to do this again, and I had an 89 or later b2600i, I would buy the whole 1987\1988 transmission and transfer case, because then I wouldn't have had to deal with the longer input shaft like I did.

So if you think you wanna try this, that's what I would recommend\do if I was doing this again.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that is cool, do you think you have the adapter flat enough to keep the alignment? should be a very cool daily driver.

i am also amazed you found an old dodge like that that is not rotted to Swiss cheese!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 95% it will be aligned well. I drilled out the corner holes in the plate and bellhousing and installed aligning dowels. I also squished out a piece of plastigausge between the plate and the bellhousing at each bolt holes place and had close enough "measurements" for me to feel ok.
And if it doesn't work, I'll get an 87\88 gearbox. Just not wanting to spend that $400(since I spent $100 on the bellhousing...) Right now. Clutch should be here tomorrow then I'll find out for sure!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the plate and bellhousing installed. Input shaft is centered in the throwout bearing guide. C'mon clutch kit!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine is bolted up to the transmission!

I may need to clearance my oil pan a bit as it now 15mm forward and wanting to hit my front diff... But it's in!

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my mounts made. I forgot to take pics while doing it, so I'll get some tomorrow.

Also got a tone of the wiring harness separated so I have access to my tach signal wire, alternator wiring, oil and temp sensors, starter wiring, and grounds.

This project is going daily alright. For now.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look ma, no chains!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice, i am not sure how much load is on that mount but it might not be a bad idea to add a triangle or something to help triangulate the mount sort of like this.

love seeing the progress!

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you live so far away, otherwise I would be TOTALLY willing to take the Ram50 Shell off your hands ( after you'd taken what you needed)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online