My CDR delete attempt.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 87 has unknown miles, burns and leaks fair amount of oil, so I decided to look at CDR while changing air filter, It looks original (grey paint) and not full of crud, so decided to remove it and try running without it. Plugging the intake hole easy enough, but attaching a hose or pipe to valley pan seemed little more difficult. Made a cover plate that used orig seal and vent pipe that fits pan seal tight, cover plate holds down pipe so it wont blow out. (lots of blow by) or leak oil, compressed it slightly, then attached 3/4 hose down and back, only concerns are hose is large enough to handle volume? original hole 7/8 and no intake vac to pull gases out, or make fitting to vent timing cover in addition to this, made everything so that I can return to CDR if I dont like, lots of smoke now!
You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hose that banks uses with the turbo kit is I think 1''.

what you did looks nice but you might want to go with a bigger tube.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eliminating the CDR will not cure any excessive oil consumption. CDR is Crankcase Depression Regulator

If you suspect excessive blowby, the first thing to do, is do a compression check. That will tell you the condition of the piston rings and/or the cylinder wear.

The compression is 260 to 450 PSI with no more than 50 PSI difference between cylinders. Most any PSI below 350 is beginning to show ring wear and /or cylinder taper wear. Loss of power is a good example. With all the oil jets that sprays for the piston cooling, if your oil wiper rings are badly worn, then you could get excessive oil usage.

You can check the crankcase pressure with a manometer, but you have to know the procedure to do that.

EDIT: Bad valve guides and /or valve seals is another place for oil consumption.

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to drive a cdr deleted truck. I did for 2 years , it was miserable. I finally put a new cdr on and couldnt be happier. I know some people don't have issues with it , but I did. It started leaking all over and the smoke was ridiculous. Immediately after replacing the cdr , no smoke and it stopped leaking oil. It is well worth the money IMO.