My answer to "shower heads"

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So eventually I'll start a thread for my tow truck but I wanted to show case this since I was working on my fuel cells right now. I asked about "shower heads" a while back and got a mixed review of replacing them so I decided to go with an idea I had for my dually when I put a bronco tank on it. So its pretty self explanatory looking at the pictures, the only piece that might not be obvious is the corrugated fuel line I found on Amazon. It's 10mm on one side, 9mm on the other side, and it's 160mm long. I squeezed the 9mm side over the 5/16 barbed fitting and clamped the mess out of it on the sending unit. I'm not sure what the micron rating is but it's fine. I lined the brass fittings up and have them set to lay down nice on the tank bottom. Gimme some feedback! Whaddya think? Is it good? Or is it "FREAKY"? Sure wish Bart could chime in.....

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_163448.jpg
    IMG_20220730_163448.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220730_170652.jpg
    IMG_20220730_170652.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 45

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel breaks down the galvanization and it goes through pump and injectors. It will cause problems.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will it wear a hole in the bottom of the tank?

This is my concern. When I did mine I put a brass T fitting on the end and put short pieces of rubber hose on the sides (just barely enough to cover the barbs) so there wasn't any metal sliding around on the bottom of the tank.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think when fuel level gets low enough, the top holes will suck in air. Good concept though.

I've done the 'put a hose on the end with a V cut in it' mod almost ten years ago, still working just fine.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What I did on mine.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think when fuel level gets low enough, the top holes will suck in air. Good concept though.

I've done the 'put a hose on the end with a V cut in it' mod almost ten years ago, still working just fine.
Ya know, you may have inspired me. I might just pull the tips and notch the tubes.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I figure by the time the it wears a hole in the tank the galvanized will have broke down and destroyed my engine anyway. As well as we won't have internal combustion engines by 2030, so I'm rolling with it. Thanks for the input guys!
They need to make alternate powered vehicles a hell of a lot cheaper then, cause paying $80k+ for the "extended range" EV is BS, when both my truck and my car can drive further easily.

You know what would be cool though? Hydrogen powered vehicles.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it! I wanted to add some sort of strainer as well, but decided to just use a tube. I don’t have a selector valve, so I’m less worried about debris than I used to be.

When I deleted my showerhead recently, I actually used 3/8” ID PEX tubing to extend the pickup tube. It’s made of polyethylene, the same stuff as white gas plastic gas tanks. I haven’t had it on there long enough to give a true report, but I wanted to throw it out there as another option for people.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the pex pipe segment too. It's rigid enough to not bend around and made a v noch at the end. I haven't installed the tank yet but I think it should work good. I also have the 38 gallon tank so it's a good way to get the pickup to the bottom of the tank.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to meet y'all half way. I took the strainer off of the regular Ford saddle tank and am just letting the hose lay, notched of course. But since the second tank on the tow truck is plastic and it'll be my WMO tank I'm leaving the strainer on. I'm including a picture of the plastic tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20220731_165310.jpg
    IMG_20220731_165310.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx