My 99 7.3 will not turn over, what am I missing?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Do the 7.3PSD's have a way of getting water into the intake like the N/A IDI's do? That's why I know what size the IDI uses. Fortunately the rubber washer is still good..........

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only 3 ways of getting water into the cylinder.
cracked head, blown gasket or the most likely... cracked injector cup.
with the turbo routing its damn near impossible to soak water into the cylinders via, the intake.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! That's what I figured but wanted to rule it out. My 6.0 is the same way, I'd have to go swimming to get water in the intake.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the battery voltage. Make sure you got at least 13.42 volts RMS. if battery drops below that when your cranking your batteries my need to be replaced or charged

Reaction score
Finally got some forward movement. The engine turned over with a breaker bar. So that was good. I pulled the power wire altogether and found a bad crimp. I then hooked a good set of jumper cables and a small jumper wire to the starter mounted solenoid and it turned over. So, the problem is either the bad crimp or the power cable itself.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get new cables or you will be fighting this for ever. Electrical problems cause the most problems in all trucks. Fix it right.

Reaction score
Well, the struggle continues. I replaced the cables with good cables from a low mileage truck. They were still starting the truck prior to their removal. The previous owners had a very small cable connecting the two batteries and that is now fixed as well. Now the truck spins over nicely. When I jump the solenoid... Still, when I turn the key all I hear is a click. I am guessing this is an ignition problem? I have not ran into this before. What should I check next?

Reaction score
Un-freaking-believable. I tried three different solenoid. That includes the store bought new solenoid I tried. The clicking was coming from the solenoid, even though jumping it worked. I remembered one of the old trucks in my back yard had one I had not tried yet. I installed it and the damn truck turned over using the ignition. I am at a loss here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.