my 6.9 turbovan for sale

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do most of the maintainence on this 1997 Toyota 4Runner that my parents have. It has close to 180,000 miles on it with no major mechanical problems, just wear parts, timing belts, brakes, tires, oil seals, and they did re seal the transmission. Recently they handed it down to my brother who cares nothing for maintaining cars, he just drives. I'm still going to try to maintain it for the family's sake but he usually doesn't like me doing anything to his stuff even PM, I guess we'll see how long it lasts under my brother's "care", my Dad also has a Toyota Tundra which is essentially a 3/4 ton truck, it doesn't do much better than my old IDI running B100 on gas mileage and I just know on the highway I would completely spank that thing in the fuel mileage department, but Dad loves that thing and it's a great truck. The American automakers screwed their loyal customers who wanted to buy American by cheaping out on quality in the 80s and early 90s and if they outsourced work, that's also not a great reason to "buy American." Whether we like it or not we're in a global market and free trade done right, really is something that can lift all boats including America's. To the OP, I'm very sorry people here are criticizing you. It sounds like you're trying to be a good father and husband and that is more important than our trucks will ever be.... you can't take it with you, but you'll have to give an account for what you did...or that's my belief anyway, so see I think your priorities are straight. Your van is easily worth the money to the right person, better to let them have it than to let it go to waste. I envision it being perfect for somebody who would like to tour the country in relative comfort and economy, who knows, but 5500 and up to the right person I tell you.

stonecrusher

Reaction score
got a 95 f350 sitting in the drive way that has never had anything done except a glow plug relay, it has 298,000 on the clock. we also have an 03 6 liter sitting out here with 189,000 on it and that thing is a waste, $52000 new and over $100,000 extra in parts. 2 engine rebuilds, 16 turbo's, high pressure oil pumps, ecm's. the truck has basically been rebuilt tice over. it doesnt matter new or old they all have problems. With toyota its the crank. They are American made though right in South Carolina. just like honda is in ohio. Ford trucks are made in Candada and louisville, Dodge in Mexico and chevy never really mattered anyhow. I hurts to say it but their isn't a 100% American made vehicle made today, or at least one without parts that are made in china or made by a foreign owned company.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all true. And I know many have justified in their own minds their decision to send their money over seas. That is a cultural issue this country will always have, because unfortunately it is an "every man for himself" mentality that we have fostered with free love, acceptance of others, indifference to race, creed, ****** preference... whatever. My issue is with the statement "foreign cars are better made (built.. whatever). By all of your own confessions, all cars sold here are built by the same people. US. Now, yes their are cultural differences driven from the top, but I believe truely, that Ford (and maybe now GM) are world class manufacturers. They are all using the same subcontractors, same electrical connectors, same brake components... hell a Ford 500 has a japanese transmission in it. SO... somebody tell me how a Toyota is better built? It's not. Plain and simple. This is a myth who's time has come to die. And the perpetuation of statements like that, are what got the big 3 into trouble in the first place. Loss of market share translates to loss of jobs, local municiple tax revenue, industrial might, and corporate sucess. Any victory for any foreign manufacture, is a loss for America. Just look at what Walmart sells and where it is made. That stuff is here, because people stopped caring. Now everyone wants to know where their job went. It went, because people said "Toyotas are built better". In a microcosm, that is exactly the source of the problem. As an American (or Canadian), you had better decide regardless of what you believe to be true, to start preaching what is good for this country, and turn the tide. Because somewhere out there, you can influence someone with what you say. And if you walk around spouting "foriegn cars are built better" Joe Schmoe right next to you won't even walk into a Ford dealer to find out if your lying or not.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Ooo... I got serious issues with anybody who thinks a Toyota is better built. Just tells me they don't know anything about vehicles, and just believe that media hype. I know your above that. Don't sink so low as to use that for an excuse. Toyota has been fixing their vehicles secretly for years, and only in recent months has the truth been coming out. Internal recals have been a fact since the 70's, and people weren't told about them hence the myth that they are better has grown to the proportions we know today. You don't ever take a Ford in to a Ford dealer for an oil change, and come out with more than an oil change. Take a Toyota in for something, and you might have new tie rods, steering shafts, drive shafts, axle components... you have no idea. And they don't have to tell you about it. Well, at least they didn't.

This is the total truth. The POS Yaris I had went in for oil changes at the dealer fairly regularly (they always sent me coupons,) the dealer I took it to had a little back room for the customers to wait in (with no way of seeing to the service bays AT ALL.) It was a nice day, so I took a walk outside and around the back of the shop and found my POS car hooked up to the computer cart. later I asked the service manager what he was doing with the car, he said "oh, just checking to make sure everything is fine in the computer system"

Honestly, after that the car shifted differently, it would rev up really high in the mornings without shifting for a long time... They changed the ********* software without telling me or getting my permission. You think when you OWN something you have the rights to it, but not at your local Toyota dealer my friend.

After that, I saw the light... sold the plasticar and bought my oilburner.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all true. And I know many have justified in their own minds their decision to send their money over seas. That is a cultural issue this country will always have, because unfortunately it is an "every man for himself" mentality that we have fostered with free love, acceptance of others, indifference to race, creed, ****** preference... whatever. My issue is with the statement "foreign cars are better made (built.. whatever). By all of your own confessions, all cars sold here are built by the same people. US. Now, yes their are cultural differences driven from the top, but I believe truely, that Ford (and maybe now GM) are world class manufacturers. They are all using the same subcontractors, same electrical connectors, same brake components... hell a Ford 500 has a japanese transmission in it. SO... somebody tell me how a Toyota is better built? It's not. Plain and simple. This is a myth who's time has come to die. And the perpetuation of statements like that, are what got the big 3 into trouble in the first place. Loss of market share translates to loss of jobs, local municiple tax revenue, industrial might, and corporate sucess. Any victory for any foreign manufacture, is a loss for America. Just look at what Walmart sells and where it is made. That stuff is here, because people stopped caring. Now everyone wants to know where their job went. It went, because people said "Toyotas are built better". In a microcosm, that is exactly the source of the problem. As an American (or Canadian), you had better decide regardless of what you believe to be true, to start preaching what is good for this country, and turn the tide. Because somewhere out there, you can influence someone with what you say. And if you walk around spouting "foriegn cars are built better" Joe Schmoe right next to you won't even walk into a Ford dealer to find out if your lying or not.

Wait so free love and acceptance of others leads to a every man for himself attitude, and that leads to people wanting foreign cars?
In the end i agree with you that newer U.S make cars are just as reliable as their foreign counterparts, but some of the points you make are rambling and sometimes inconsequential. For example: when people say toyotas are built/made better they are not talking about the quality of welds or where the components come from (U.S. or abroad). what they mean and should say is they are designed better, and that was true for a long time. Blame who you like, i prefer the short sighted leadership of the big three and the UAW becasue they both worked to shield the market from foreign competitors rather than compete like they should have (look up chicken tax for just one example)

sorry i should also say that i realloy like that van. wish i had the spare dogh. Trying to sell an old camaro now to get a car out of the driveway lol

Last edited:

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow too bad you are selling the Van. I just put 2 and 2 together, I have subscribed to your build post on Pirate but never put the 2 together. Good Luck selling her it is a great rig!!

On the Import car debate. I have a Grand Cherokee 1999 WJ 4.7 with 309K on the clock. It is all about the PM

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Brand Loyalty kills me :rotflmao

In my situation and way of viewing what makes a vehicle good------

I am building my Ford to take me to some of the most remote and inaccessible places in the Western states during all months of the year. I only chose a Ford because of the reliable and simple mechanically injected diesel engine, four doors, Kingpin Dana 60 front axle and the ability to haul my Four Wheel Camper safely--how many other trucks out there fit that description? Very few and my old truck seems right at home doing that.

That said anyone that would argue the success and reliability of a 60, 70 or 80 series Toyota Cruiser is a fool. Are you going to take say a "Chevy" S10 Blazer or Ford Explorer in extreme cold and extreme heat and to remote areas around the world on poorly maintained roads?!? Yeah don't think so. They are not even in the same playing field when it comes to offroad capability. I guess its only an argument for those that leave the pavement once in awhile ;p

Spend money in the "USA" to support the USA is too funny. Okay I'll buy a new "Chevy" and give them my money to support the USA and make myself feel patriotic so they (our American car company) in return can send their money to Mexico to build and assemble the next persons truck... Support Japan by buying an American made car or support USA by buying a made in Mexico or Canadian car??? :rolleyes: Who cares buy what you like.

To the op: Sorry for helping to ruin your thread. Good luck with your sell its a really cool van!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
That said anyone that would argue the success and reliability of a 60, 70 or 80 series Toyota Cruiser is a fool. Are you going to take say a "Chevy" S10 Blazer or Ford Explorer in extreme cold and extreme heat and to remote areas around the world on poorly maintained roads?!? Yeah don't think so. They are not even in the same playing field when it comes to offroad capability. I guess its only an argument for those that leave the pavement once in awhile ;p

What gets me on the old yotas is everyone that loves wheeling them swap out the drivetrain, I've never seen an old yota that was stock in a mag, on a trail or at a show. They always have a SBC 700R4 and different rears, sometime they use newer yota rears. Now if your going to say oh but your terra is modified, yes it is, to remove the JAPANESE NISSAN DIESEL that came in it. Which died at only 55K miles. Granted it started into the lighter truck diesel revolution, I wish they used their own diesel. Ill put either of my AMERICAN MADE scouts up against any yota any day of the week. Want to keep it stock? Mild lift? Ok well use my '74 scout II I'm sure it'll drive up one side and down the other of that yota. Like they say the last serious 4x4 was built in 1980.:backoff

-Jon

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
What gets me on the old yotas is everyone that loves wheeling them swap out the drivetrain, I've never seen an old yota that was stock in a mag, on a trail or at a show. They always have a SBC 700R4 and different rears, sometime they use newer yota rears. Now if your going to say oh but your terra is modified, yes it is, to remove the JAPANESE NISSAN DIESEL that came in it. Which died at only 55K miles. Granted it started into the lighter truck diesel revolution, I wish they used their own diesel. Ill put either of my AMERICAN MADE scouts up against any yota any day of the week. Want to keep it stock? Mild lift? Ok well use my '74 scout II I'm sure it'll drive up one side and down the other of that yota. Like they say the last serious 4x4 was built in 1980.:backoff

-Jon

Jon,

For what I do with my Toyota the small block V8 swaps are almost completely worthless and I don't know too many people that want to loose the Toyota drivetrain. While SBC swaps may have been part of the fad in the early 90's many people including myself frown on that swap these days. I'm still rockin the 20R (2.2L 4cyl) that came in my truck well over 30years ago ;Sweet The trans is out of a later (1985) pickup because it is stronger and has an overdrive vs. the weak stock unit. T-case has been modified to accept another Toyota case behind it (doubler) and I also have a 4.7 to 1 reduction gearset in the rear case to make for an extremely low crawl ratio all using Toyota parts. Rear axle is a 86 Toyota unit as it is stronger and wider than stock... but you got me on the front--its a Dana 44 out of a 78 Wagoneer. Its about as strong as a stock Toyota axle, but it was wider to match the rear and I found it to be good for what I do.

It is my belief (as crazy as it sounds) that Toyota and IH used to build similar rigs--being slightly underpowered but extremely reliable and built to work hard. Chassis are both boxed in and drivetrain is strong and simple to work on. I think that Toyota has held onto that the best they could with ever increasing demands to make Trucks more car like. I'm sure IH (car division) would be the same way if they were around. I won't point any fingers at IH for using a Japanese engine. The SD-33 was almost perfect for the Scout imo its too bad they are so hard to find!

As for wheeling your on!!! Not because I want to prove anything because 4wheeling is one of the greatest gifts on earth and its fun to go with people that feel the same way ;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
The only thing I noticed there is the yota frames rot in half but the bodies seem ok, the scout frames are solid but the bodies fall off! Hahaha and you're on let'***** the trails!;Sweet

-Jon

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The only thing I noticed there is the yota frames rot in half but the bodies seem ok, the scout frames are solid but the bodies fall off! Hahaha and you're on let'***** the trails!;Sweet

-Jon

Ok the frames are bad but not always that bad... The bodies are another story!!! Hence the name Rot Box :rotflmao :puke::D

You must be registered for see images attach

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...this really sparked a great debate and insignt from alot of sources...

I like fords because the first cars I worked on were fords..its what I learned..so its what I drove..

I have buddys that have the same history with chevy and dodge..

so in the end..its what you like..and you only ever pick the best points of your brand rather than the weaknesses...(its ok..everybody does it!)

the swappin parts on rigs is kinda like an erector set...you take this strong part from dana that supplys all 3 american motor companies...you take an engine that you like and has AFTERMARKET avaiablity for parts..(I once had a nissan sentra DIESEL..ran great..but the parts availabilty was nil..so it went away rather than being re-used in another project)..you pick and choose parts that you can afford and fit what you want them to do...

look at stock wranglers...they are GREAT 4x4's..cant argue dont try!...but when you begin adding bigger tires..bigger obsticals..the axles and drivelines have weaknesses and nobody makes reasonable upgrade parts..so its cheaper to swap in other manufactors parts to upgrade over the base-stock strength..

in 03 I had a 92 f350 crew 4x4 460 manual manual manual...LOVED THAT BIG UGLY GIRL...however..it rode like crap (poor seat and stiff leafsprings)...and only EVER got 11mpg no matter what I did..towed anything I every thought of..but they wanted 3-4K for a slide in camper at that time and the fuel and age of the truck (hard miles) didnt make it worth it..

so I got the van...did alot to her...great towrig and weekend camper while 4x4in..but the insurance co will ONLY PAY me $1200 if its stolen (if I pay the $30 more a month for full coverage)...and WILL NOT cover her as an RV and cannot tell me where to get it appraized for the extras done to her...and hauling anything involved getting my trailer or pullin the couch out of the back and watchin whats being loaded so it doesnt spill..I didnt really go out lookin for a replacement for her..just kinda found one...

the jeep 2dr was too small for a family of 5...so we got the unlimited..and then moved into town..6 miles of smooth paved roads (not 20miles...5 of which were some wicked steep torn up township gravel roads)...and all the crud to haul the kids JUST fills the back of the jeep..and the twins are way to little to drive everyday with the top down (too hot-cold/windy)...and it gets the same kinda millage as the van..so to keep miles down and retain the value it didnt get driven much at all...(I worry less about the van being scratched at work) but I felt kinda upset that I was payin on this jeep that just SAT in the garage...couldnt haul anything..just people..and my wife doesnt like to drive manual trans so it didnt even get driven by her..just gathered dust and cost a payment every month to take up space..

the tundra had the truck feel and utility that I needed again...and had the VALUE to absorb the negative equity from havin 2 jeeps financed within 18months of getting them (9 months on the 4dr 18 on the 2dr)...the power was compareable to the van for towing and the fuel economy was the same for the jeep2dr/van/jeep4dr...and the insurance full coverage is the SAME as adding full coverage to the van!! ($30 a month!)...the only thing diffrent is the larger space for the family (over the jeep)..and the slight increase in car-payments...

so it just seemed to be a great replacement for the jeep AND the van at the same time...a slide in camper makes it a nice stand up camper that the van couldnt do (cus the cost wasnt permissive to add $1500 to DIY the pop-top conversion to the van when it wouldnt be covered if it was totaled/stolen)...and it is still a good family hauler (jeep was 6spd stickshift and the wife didnt like to drive it)...and pull duty haulin scrap/wood/materials/trailers....the last 4 years of not havin a truck has been tough..now im back on easy street!!