my 6.9 turbovan for sale

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I wish I had the $$$$$ that would be a great van... I know you have done alot to it.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Isn't this the van you were just raving about how good your new IP made it run? Or was that somebody else. Is this your only IDI? Me thinks so. I'm going to bring back the SWONK just for you!

-Flame Thr-Flame Thr-Flame Thr SWONK! -Flame Thr -Flame Thr -Flame Thr

I feel a definite disturbance in the Force. ;Really :mad: -cuss

Not only that, but if I'm not mistaken, that leaves you with a fleet of vehicles built by people who bombed your fathers generation. :shoot::shoot:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Isn't this the van you were just raving about how good your new IP made it run? Or was that somebody else. Is this your only IDI? Me thinks so. I'm going to bring back the SWONK just for you!

-Flame Thr-Flame Thr-Flame Thr SWONK! -Flame Thr -Flame Thr -Flame Thr

I feel a definite disturbance in the Force. ;Really :mad: -cuss

Not only that, but if I'm not mistaken, that leaves you with a fleet of vehicles built by people who bombed your fathers generation. :shoot::shoot:

yup..that unfortunatly is also built better than the american automakers that sold their soul to outsource american jobs for a larger profit margine (and HMO style financing/pricing)

im not thrilled that its a forgin (sp) owned company..but the ford dealers around here wouldnt budge on the f150's and were 6-8K more for a similar 4dr..

Im a die-hard ford guy..and so is alot of older guys I look up too..but a few years ago they started looking and purchasing nissans and toyotas for their long-gevity and beter build qualitys..some that purchased domestics have had less than stellar performance and maintenance compared to like vehicles..(same weight class/options)...

the reason for the sale is she would probably sit in the yard and not drivin enough to justify the licencing/ins (even thou its CHEAP)...but sitting is ******* vehicles..things rust and seize and leak..which lends to your leeryness about reliablity...

it is a sweet rig..its FAST..bulletproof and fun..but with pressure from the wife and the added responsabilites with the twins and older kiddo..the next step was to get a truck for trucks sake (utility)..

the whole family getting back together thing has taken its toll on me this year..Ive sold all my metalworking equipment and my 4x4 rockcrawler that I built over the last 5 years..my quad and the house that I personally built and the property that I love all for the sake of what the family needs..and they need me spending time with them...not out with the welder in the garage or out wheelin with buddys on long weekends away from them...the rock-crawler did bring me to tears when she left for her new home...the van will do the same..alot of fond memories ..but I gotta do what makes the most sense and try to make up for the mistakes I made along the way..more about comforting the family than being a cheap-***...:(

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooo... I got serious issues with anybody who thinks a Toyota is better built. Just tells me they don't know anything about vehicles, and just believe that media hype. I know your above that. Don't sink so low as to use that for an excuse. Toyota has been fixing their vehicles secretly for years, and only in recent months has the truth been coming out. Internal recals have been a fact since the 70's, and people weren't told about them hence the myth that they are better has grown to the proportions we know today. You don't ever take a Ford in to a Ford dealer for an oil change, and come out with more than an oil change. Take a Toyota in for something, and you might have new tie rods, steering shafts, drive shafts, axle components... you have no idea. And they don't have to tell you about it. Well, at least they didn't.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Ooo... I got serious issues with anybody who thinks a Toyota is better built. Just tells me they don't know anything about vehicles, and just believe that media hype. I know your above that. Don't sink so low as to use that for an excuse. Toyota has been fixing their vehicles secretly for years, and only in recent months has the truth been coming out. Internal recals have been a fact since the 70's, and people weren't told about them hence the myth that they are better has grown to the proportions we know today. You don't ever take a Ford in to a Ford dealer for an oil change, and come out with more than an oil change. Take a Toyota in for something, and you might have new tie rods, steering shafts, drive shafts, axle components... you have no idea. And they don't have to tell you about it. Well, at least they didn't.

Amen brother!! I can't stand when people say they build good trucks, they're motors never even slightly impressed me, and the frames rot in half, if you ask me quality isn't in rotten frames....

-Jon

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Amen brother!! I can't stand when people say they build good trucks, they're motors never even slightly impressed me, and the frames rot in half, if you ask me quality isn't in rotten frames....

-Jon

Or popcan firewalls and plastic clutch bushings, etc. They all have their faults, I do know from an engine perspective what I saw getting warranty work done at the machine shop. I've become a fan of nothing to be honest, I buy what I need to get the job done. Ford (or any other maker) have no corner on the market for quality, but I will say, my father dealt with them for many years and said of all the companies his company sourced parts to, Ford did make the biggest attempt to improve quality assurance. They also paid for him to make many trips to Arizona to look at Toyota vehicles to try to figure out why Ford couldn't make a dash pad that held up and Toyota and other could.

Anyway, I looked at new trucks a while back and what was said is true, the big three have priced themselves out of the market. Now if there was a huge quality difference, that's one thing, I'm willing to pay for quality, but struggle to pay 30% more for something that is equal under the circumstances, these days, you can't use the argument "American Made" either, cause none are...sucks for sure. Dad was put out of work after 37 years and the use of 3 sick days during his tenure so his job could be outsourced! Yeah, that makes you want to be real loyal to a brand. To each his own, not slamming anyone or any make, just saying...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
thats why I will not buy a new vehicle. Ill rebuild my scouts 100 times over. Granted I am planning on buying an '01 superduty with the powerstroker in it (go ahead stone me now...;p:backoff) to rot out in the PA saltstorms! That's not junk like all the vehicles rolling off the assembly lines now a days.

-Jon

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ PERSPECTIVE. in late 2ooo when the O1 was brand new, people felt the same way about it, that you feel about 2011 stuff.

Computer controlled (2001) paper thin sheet meatal... aint much different thana 2011. Less horsepower, less mpg, and a few less problems, not many.

The wife drives an 02 Corolla. 140k, and 0 mechanical failures.

Repeat that... ZERO...

That says something to me. (contradicting the hate posted above)

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and the Corolla is made in USA... ued to NOT buy Japanes cars that were built here, because I was scared that they would run like an American car. Proud to say they do not, they run like they were built overseas. Our total lack of quality control didn't translate into the manufacturing plants the **** have built here, Thank GOd.

Having said that, I am still a die hard Ford guy, and proud to drive an IH powered rig, but for the most part, the **** have it going on...

Was an LOF tech at the Toy dealer for a short bit. Part of the job in the pit was to check for leaks after it fired. Hollered out no leaks, looks like a new car once, and the guy up top was all "how"? It is a 200k mile car he said. Regrdless of odometer statement, the under side of the motor was bone dry.

Do that with a Ford, I dare ya.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Not to start something here but I really believe that the UAW screwed the pooch on this one. BTW I will go great lengths to avoid buying chinese crap. They make stuff that scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand how ya feel..I feel the SAME way about dodge and some bowties..but thats my opinion based on what I've seen...

I couldnt get an f150 for what I got the tundra for...period..

Im impressed with alot of the forign markets and their designs/durablity from many diffrent forums...Im lookin at best bang for my buck...

DragRag

Reaction score
I understand how ya feel..I feel the SAME way about dodge and some bowties..but thats my opinion based on what I've seen...

I couldnt get an f150 for what I got the tundra for...period..

Im impressed with alot of the forign markets and their designs/durablity from many diffrent forums...Im lookin at best bang for my buck...

Best bang for your buck would have been used, not new. I can operate my F350 crew cab 4x4 for less cost per mile the your new toy all day long to when you amortize, payment, insurance, and down payment over 5 years. I'll stick with my old stuff, it's much cheaper to operate. Now if you want new car smell, that a different story. Never justify a new car purchase with an mpg clause, the math doesn't work. Cost of vehicle should be factored at cost per mile in total, not just mpg.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish you well with your new truck but your cost of ownership will not compare to what you have right now. It never does....

Our only toyota in the family is a 97' Rav4 4 door auto. Its my mom's car and never had any problems with it but that thing hardly ever goes over 50 MPH since she prefers to avoid the freeway.

It did start blowing blue smoke a few months ago but some snake oil conditioner seemed to have fixed it. Surprised the heck out of me. Only reason I would consider maintaining that car indefinately other than the fact that its served us well is because it runs a non interference engine so a snapped rubber band won't kill it.

What I don't like about the car is it doesn't have bumpers. I'm not talking about the plastic cladding, I mean there is NO structure behind them at all and the rad support can be twisted by hand and even bent with my bare hands - there is nothing between that and the wall except that plastic shell. Its not even legal to build something like that anymore and slightly newer Ravs had a bolt on aluminum bumper factory installed at the rear. Even my saturn has well backed structural 5 MPH bumpers that would put a new F150 to shame.

Last I checked the 3000lb 4 cyl toyota was getting about 18 MPG which is what my 6000lb IDI gets - WHILE TOWING!!!!!!:***:

So yeah its been reliable and it is nice to change the oil filter without having to crawl under it, but really I can't recommend toyota based on my experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online