My 1st Blackstone-Labs report,

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure why the lead was higher than average, it’s a lower mileage engine. Any of y’all ever see lead values this high.

Since this report I had switched oil from Chevron 15w-40 SDE CK4 to Motorcraft oil and had always used a Motorcraft Filter.

before?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air filter is working well. Not letting much dirt past it. The lead is a little high but not terrible. It may be a particle streak. Recheck it in 3k.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air filter is working well. Not letting much dirt past it. The lead is a little high but not terrible. It may be a particle streak. Recheck it in 3k.
Will do, I’ll search the forum more tonight and read up on it.

Thanks for posting, I was a bit alarmed when I saw the lead reading. Original engine with 103,000 miles on it. It was my grandad’s truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The lead can be from a different driver easily. you tell us this was grand dads rig so my guess is he drove it differently than you. If this is your first sample what are you comparing it too.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point, he towed his boat and travel trailer with it before he got sick and it sat for a while. I’ve put about 7k miles on it over the last 1 1/2 years.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lead can be from a different driver easily. you tell us this was grand dads rig so my guess is he drove it differently than you. If this is your first sample what are you comparing it too.
I was comparing it to the “Universal Averages” column on the right of the report.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it’s not a true apples to apples comparison, but when I did my first Blackstone sample on my ALH TDI, it showed high nickel, iron, copper, and lead. After discussing with a trusted mechanic, I ‘washed’ the engine with half oil/half diesel mixture and ran it at idle for 30 minutes and then serviced with a new filter and oil and the next report at my normal oil change interval (10k miles) showed all values back well within universal averages.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize after searching the hell out of this forum and bobistheoilguy that there’s no need to get overly concerned.

This forum is a literal goldmine of information and I don’t want to be “that guy” who posts redundant threads when they should have simply invested more time researching what’s already been hashed out. I spend a lot of time reading and referencing this forum,

Then like you said keep on sending in the samples to establish a baseline of what is normal for my truck. It runs great and I’ll continue using high quality lube and filters, although I might switch to Hastings Filters from the Motorcraft and Wix/Napa Gold that I’ve been running after reading Mel’s take on the Hastings.

So I had jumped the gun when initially getting worried about that lab report, ultimately I’m pretty particular about it and really get a lot of satisfaction out of doing preventative maintenance and improvements on her. Has a lot of sentimental value attached to it.

And there is no other truck on God’s green earth I’d rather be driving

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t bother with an oil analysis unless I was running super extended oil change intervals.
They are good at getting a guy all worked up because his engine is wearing too quickly lol.
If your really concerned about it, run two quarts of marvel mystery oil in engine about 500 miles before oil change. That will clean all sludge, varnish, & deposits inside engine.
Log a couple thousand miles on new oil and retake oil analysis. That will help you get a better baseline on engine health.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lead could also be residual from an oil additive containing lead that was added in the past. Can't remember the brand, but there's at least one oil additive with quite a bit of lead that's supposed to plate-out and restore worn surfaces.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lead could also be residual from an oil additive containing lead that was added in the past. Can't remember the brand, but there's at least one oil additive with quite a bit of lead that's supposed to plate-out and restore worn surfaces.
I’ve read that about some additives to. Overall happy with the 1st report, thankfully no antifreeze or diesel fuel in the oil!

Time will tell what’s normal for my engine, it runs great and sounds good to. Initially I was overly concerned when I first reviewed the report, after reading a bunch more I’ve calmed down some...I don’t believe my engine is about to grenade itself,,lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online