Murphy and his Laws

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 3 of my rigs need attention but my commuter is first to receive it’s attention.

It vibrates something fierce at cold idle, talking below 20F. Have OEM fluid filled motor mounts to go in and it’s time. I have a weather window....upper 30’s for 3 days and I’m off...

Car set up...

You must be registered for see images attach

Self Serving - Ever changing Mobil Mechanic set up....

So went to change motor mounts and found this...

Is completely severed from the K member. So will need to get that welded

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother always says they come in threes. So Murphy delivered the other 2......

A spewing turbo drain line ...... and .....

Seeping fuel lines...guess I got more than I bargained for!!! THANKS MURPHY!!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
See, what you need is... Less rust.

Sorry you got into a boxing match with Murphy and lost man, but at least it's all simple fixes!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tackled the turbo drain pipe yesterday. In the end I think it was just loose.....

I dropped the turbo support rod and took the sway bar brackets off the K-member and just swung it out of the way on its end-links.

Could access the bottom of the turbo with a long wobble extension and a T40. I don’t have a 21mm wrench so grabbed a 7/8” out of my old trusty Wilmer set.

The 7/8” wrench went on but would not move due to the AC Compressor Bracket.......so I went to my bench grinder :rotflmao

Now ground down I removed the turbo drain pipe.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the drain pipe up, I realized there’s also an adapter in the block, so I removed it too. At this point the sun has dropped behind the mtns and temp is dropping fast!!!

Fired up a compact fluorescent.....sure could use the warmth of a 100w incandescent :idiot:

Now I have the adapter cleaned, drain pipe cleaned, and a good gasket for the bottom of the turbo. Did I mention I’m not Canadian and my hands are getting cold!!

I put blue thread locker on the adapter and tighten it down. Anti seize on the T40 bolts in the bottom of the turbo. And blue thread locker on the end of a drain hose going into the block. I used a 7/8” (22mm) O2 sensor socket and my ground wrench to tighten it down.

No O-rings or anything to go bad, it’s a compression fitted spherical ball that sits in the socket of the adapter. I like it’s design....when it’s tight!!

Installed....

I bought some foamy gunk to clean the engine, and I’ll keep a watch to see if it leaks. Fingers crossed :cheers:

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I mention I’m not Canadian and my hands are getting cold!!
That white stuff is natural hand cleaner!!! But then you gotta P E E on your hands to warm them back up!! :rotflmao

Ahh.....smells like home :sorry:cookoo
Hmm, so does this mean that if he were Canadian he wouldn't have to P E E on his hands? :joker:

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy back in South Dakota, we could ice fish all day and he would never wear gloves. No shack, no sun, he would never get cold hands.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was visiting my cousin in Wyoming, I was on the verge of wearing a parka and he was running around in a sleeveless shirt. I think he's part wooly mammoth. LOL

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after playing father and husband through the warmth of the day....

I started on motor mounts at 7pm, 28F and dropping. This was my first time for this vehicle and I would not recommend doing this in the dark and cold. I became annoyed. Heavy Metal did help!!

Didn’t take any photos but the mounts are in, they will go in from the bottom. Cheat the Jack towards the RH side of the oil pan, and when you think you haven’t jacked, Jack more :idiot:

Today I’ll put the car back together and investigate the seeping fuel lines.