Muffler Selection

Griblik

Reaction score
The guy's saying $30-$40 for install is all. He's got a 3" off a brand new Ford as well, if that'd be better then the 4", I'm just mostly wondering if a muffler off the new Fords is gonna sound decent and perform ok, or be restrictive.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look in the muffler and can see straight though it then it will sound good and not be restrictive. If you cant see through it then it will be restrictive and sound quiet.

The gibson muffler I have you can see staright through it so it is not restrictive. It is quieter than just having it straight piped and is designed like a glasspack AKA cherry bomb except there is nothing to blow out of mine and a glass pack will blow out and get obnoxiously louder over time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The guy's saying $30-$40 for install is all. He's got a 3" off a brand new Ford as well, if that'd be better then the 4", I'm just mostly wondering if a muffler off the new Fords is gonna sound decent and perform ok, or be restrictive.

So, you're basically talking about dropping $100 on a used, cobbled together muffler...that the guy got for free when he cut it off a new truck that some guy came in and spent a *** for a custom exhaust on???
The local exhaust guy here sells pulls off new vehicles for about $35-40 installed

If you're going to spend that much money, might as well buy a fancy muffler and clamp the thing on yourself.

You could buy a new regular big truck muffler , cut the old one off with a hacksaw and clamp the new one on for a whole lot less.

---Robert

Griblik

Reaction score
I wouldn't need to weld it in? What do you use to clamp it? (Can you tell I haven't done much exhaust work?) :)

Skidmark

Reaction score
straight pipe baby! sure your ears will ring, your neighbors will hate you and you'll get dirty looks from everyone on the road, but when a person tells you that they could hear your rig coming long before you arrive, you realize it was all worthwhile.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I ran an Original Cherry Bomb on my '85 for 2yrs. It sounded great, and when I took it off (replaced it with an AutoJet sys) it looked perfect. Some soot, but none of the packing was burned.
Being the Pack Rat that I am, I saved it. Never know when a guy might need a muffler?
Around $20

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's like the 4" that is on the Moose Wagon, your not going to hear your exhaust note at all. I'd get a 3" streight through Magnaflow in stainless. Might cost a little more, but you won't need another one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I wouldn't need to weld it in? What do you use to clamp it? (Can you tell I haven't done much exhaust work?) :)

If you get a new muffler, get one that the inside diameter ( ID ) is the same as the outside diameter (OD ) of the existing pipe. Cut out the old muffler and enouhg pipe to where the body of the new muffler will fit in between, and slip ii on the ends and tighten down with exhaust U bolts.
Alternately, putting a layer of exhaust assembly paste around the ends of the pipe before inserting can assure a leak free fitting., and if you spend a few bucks more for the big truck type band clamps, they seal better and support weight better.

----------Robert

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a Cherry Bomb with the stock y-pipe and 2.5" exhaust. Sounds great!