Muffler Selection

Griblik

Reaction score
Hey all,
Hopefully this isn't a question that's already been beat to death somewhere, didn't find it in my searches. I have my '89 F250 with the 7.3, N/A. It's factory muffler has come to resemble a rusty sieve, so I'm thinking it's time to replace it. Don't have much money to throw at it, so I'm looking for the most economical option for replacing it, something I can just weld in place of the current muffler, not looking at buying a whole performance system or anything. In the posts I have read already regarding exhaust systems, the consensus I'm seeing is that straight-piping it is not ideal for a N/A powerplant, and that glasspacks are the way to go. Assuming that is the case, what brand of glasspack would you all recommend? Is a plain old Cherrybomb suitable, or do I need something more industrial strength, or...? I don't mind if it's loud, (kinda looking forward to it being loud, actually! :D ), just concerned about keeping my cost down. Thanks for the advice..!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a good aftermarket muffler, preferably in stailess, something along the lines of a Magnaflow, or Gibson, while better flowing than a Flowmaster, a glasspack still leaves much to be desired.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If money is an issue, high dollar stainless cans are out of the question. Might want to just get a regular old straight through big truck muffler. They're usually around $40 and they last for years. If you have a Truck Pro nearby, they'll have a decent selection on hand . Napa generally carries plain commercial truck mufflers as well

I only paid about $43 for my 4" in/out x36" long x 8" dia about 6 months back

---------Robert

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
dont run any muffler diesels are not that loud without them more pwr too

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont run any muffler diesels are not that loud without them more pwr too

:yell: :yell: :yell: :yell: Gotta totally disagree with you on not that loud. It's obnoxious running a diesel that does not have a turbo straight piped. Also a great way to PO the neighbors and have the cops bothering you.

Sorry for the yelling. I was trying to speak over the noise of an N/A diesel straight piped.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the misfortune to drive a diesel with no muffler. It's not something I'd want to do on purpose.

A plain old "turbo" muffler or a straight through style like the Walker BTM will work fine. Glass packs will rapidly clog with soot and become useless.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a pair Cherry Bomb's on the Moosestang. The sound is excellent! ;Sweet

Griblik

Reaction score
So, my local muffler shop says they have a barely used 4" factory rmuffler that was pulled off of a brand new F350 that they'd sell me for $60. What do you guys think about that option? I don't really know what kind of muffler that would be, is it going to sound pretty good and add some extra performance, or is it going to be a plain jane, restrictive, quiet one? How would that compare to going with a glasspack? I currently have 3" or 3.5" exhaust, and it sounds like they're planning on just grafting that 4" into my existing pipes, is that going to be a problem, going from 3" to 4" then back to 3"? I really don't wanna pay for a whole new exhaust system.................. Thanks..!

7.3shrk

It sounds like it is going to start costing more money with all the extra welding and stuff. Why not just order a fair or decent one from Summit for about the same price in the right size?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from 2.5" to 3" complete exhaust for $250 and that included the Gibson muffler which was $125. That was for aluminized pip, Gibson muffler, clamps hangers and a 4" chrome tip which placed properly will also help improve the sound.

I took off my old exhaust system and brought it to the shop to have them bend the pipe. I also brought the new Gibson muffler with me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online