Moving to states-different diesel laws in Michigan?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be moving to Michigan from Canada in a few weeks. I know MI is awesome for no cats, no front plates, no safety inspections. Is it any different for diesel pickups?
Also-what are the towing limits and laws for MI registered trucks??
How does the GVW work? trailers?

Last edited:

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cats?

Edited: Nevermind, I woke up. Shouldn't post before coffee.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I think MI is the same as Indiana in if you can pay the tax, title and plate fees they really don't care past that. I know in both we can pull two trailers at once but only if the first trailer is a 5th wheel but in reality they don't even push that. I used to tow both with bumper pulls. They never paid any attention to me at all. That way I could take both the camper and the boat to the lake. You will have to have the vehicle inspected the first time and all they are doing is checking to see if the vin is stolen and that's it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read gvw is 700lb per inch of tire. Id that the trucks width of tire?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in michigan depends if its commercial or not to i think.. i know commercail pick up trucks and box trucks gotta be DOT'ed and if you over 10k gvw you need a medical card.

i dont haul much with my truck but ive never been bothered personal use. no inspections just gotta have plates and tabs and insurance

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i dont tow commercially, only my own cars.
How would it be if i want to tow one of those 3 car wedge trailer? Double car hauler?
Dont know the weight of a wedge trailer but sum of the 3 cars would be 9k lbs.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i dont tow commercially, only my own cars.
How would it be if i want to tow one of those 3 car wedge trailer? Double car hauler?
Dont know the weight of a wedge trailer but sum of the 3 cars would be 9k lbs.
i dont have an answer for you on that.. id assume if you can keep it under control you would be ok. ive drove a couple commercial box trucks with a gvw of 10k with about 10k in the back plus the truck passed state cops but i was sweating bullets. near me there are some citys that will ticket you for every little thing and some only care if you speeding and suck

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think MI is the same as Indiana in if you can pay the tax, title and plate fees they really don't care past that. I know in both we can pull two trailers at once but only if the first trailer is a 5th wheel but in reality they don't even push that. I used to tow both with bumper pulls. They never paid any attention to me at all. That way I could take both the camper and the boat to the lake. You will have to have the vehicle inspected the first time and all they are doing is checking to see if the vin is stolen and that's it.

Last part has not happened to me. If you pay for the plates and insurance you are pretty much free to run. They define a commercial vehicle as anything being used to make money to put it short. Towing a three car wedge is not a problem if you are not doing it for money. You can throw a "Not for hire. Private RV" sticker/magnet/card board sign on your truck if you are still worried about the state police commercial division and skip right by the scales. If you want to two doubles you have to have a special endorsement put on your license (only a multiple choice test). Oh, and trailer plates are a one time fee, they are pricey but lifetime plate that you own.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last part has not happened to me. If you pay for the plates and insurance you are pretty much free to run. They define a commercial vehicle as anything being used to make money to put it short. Towing a three car wedge is not a problem if you are not doing it for money. You can throw a "Not for hire. Private RV" sticker/magnet/card board sign on your truck if you are still worried about the state police commercial division and skip right by the scales. If you want to two doubles you have to have a special endorsement put on your license (only a multiple choice test). Oh, and trailer plates are a one time fee, they are pricey but lifetime plate that you own.

thought Michigan stopped permit plates

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I knew they still issued them. I had heard rumor of stopping the permanent plate got shut down . I haven't registered a trailer in 4 or 5 years though.

i haven't ether but that was the same with my parents. i believe they changed that a few years ago. ive seen trailer plates with tags if im not mistaken.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't ether but that was the same with my parents. i believe they changed that a few years ago. ive seen trailer plates with tags if im not mistaken.

Well damn, that sucks if that is the case.

EDIT: Trailer plates are still permanent according to the SoS website.

Last edited:

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to Michigan, but when I moved from AB to GA in 1999 I had to get certification letters for both my vehicles from their respective manufacturers. The letters stated that they either met the NHTSA rules for their year or what needed to be changed to do so. At the time I had a newer minivan that didn't need anything and an older diesel Jetta that needed 2 things changed. The speedo didn't have MPH on it and the E-Brake light had a symbol rather than the word 'brake' on it. I managed to find both at a salvage yard.

The certification had to be shown at the border and maybe a fee, don't recall for sure.

Here is a link to the NTHSA importation rules and processes. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online