Motorcraft fan clutches from rock auto

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laser,

I finally said the hell with it and ran my truck this summer pulling and didn't watch the temps and for the first time swear I heard the fan kick on and off. I also put two pieces of factory weather stripping in between the headlight plastics and the radiator support. So may be those helped push airflow right. Or maybe I finally pushed it to the point of actually turning on.

Even when I would run "hot" the truck never boiled over. But it always bothered me. I swear once it started working it seems to work consistent now. I do have a Rock Auto Motorcraft fan clutch.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laser,

I finally said the hell with it and ran my truck this summer pulling and didn't watch the temps and for the first time swear I heard the fan kick on and off. I also put two pieces of factory weather stripping in between the headlight plastics and the radiator support. So may be those helped push airflow right. Or maybe I finally pushed it to the point of actually turning on.

Even when I would run "hot" the truck never boiled over. But it always bothered me. I swear once it started working it seems to work consistent now. I do have a Rock Auto Motorcraft fan clutch.
Junk I’ve seen close to 235. That’s too warm for comfort in my book. I’m only running a 7 lb cap so that has to be starting to push the limits. If it won’t kick on at that temp, there’s a problem. Either the clutch is bad or the radiator isn’t getting hot. I’ve considered that possibility as well. I’ve got the fittings to bypass some water directly back to the radiator around the thermostat.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact opposite problem. Mine is engaged in the morning for a few miles before it disengages and engages too much while driving around town. Mine is a Motorcraft as well.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact opposite problem. Mine is engaged in the morning for a few miles before it disengages and engages too much while driving around town. Mine is a Motorcraft as well.

That’s the problem I had with aftermarket units, so I put my old original cutch back on. Drives me nuts to have a fan engaged most of the time when it’s not needed and you can definitely feel a power difference in stop and go driving

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s the problem I had with aftermarket units, so I put my old original cutch back on. Drives me nuts to have a fan engaged most of the time when it’s not needed and you can definitely feel a power difference in stop and go driving
Yes it drives me nuts too. Weird thing is , the previous clutch by Hayden had the same problem.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I’d rather have it on too much than to be trying to overheat. Even if the noise is irritating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance