Motorcraft/Beru Glow Plugs-YOU HAVE TO ASK !!!

tompands

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently went to Orielys auto parts for glow plugs for my 1989 f350 idi. The guy behind the counter said he had 8 in stock and that they were AUTOLITE's. I took them home and installed them. The truck started once. Then the whole GP relay clicking thing started and NO start. Started reading online about AUTOLITE GP's. Proceeded to Remove the autolites and ordered MOTORCRAFT at Oriely's. A lot of these parts guys don't tell you that there is other/ better parts available, YOU HAVE TO ASK !!! This has become regular practice for me (Although I didn't with the glow plugs), because I initially though Autolite was connected to FORD , which I found out recently, They are not-Autolite is owned by FRAM. The autolite/ford connection ended years ago, from what I've read. Never knew that.

Anyways, I got my Motorcraft GP's @ $3 more each, installed them and now she fires right up, every time. I also installed a new voltage regulator and once again, asked if they offered a better one. The first one was Chinese made for $19, he went in back and brought out a motorcraft for $23, 3 times as heavy as the Chinese one. You have to ask !!!-inferior parts suck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad the autoswells came out easy, if you know your parts guys well (I have a commercial account) they begin to pick up on what quality parts you buy. I always go for motorcraft so that’s the first price they give me. I had an account at my local Napa for years but cancelled it when the service went down and prices went up. O’riellys is further drive for me, but it’s worth it to get the part I asked for the first time.

Reaction score
I know ripping on the general ineptitude of your typical parts store worker is common fodder on automotive forums, but did you seriously expect the parts guy to know about Autolite GPs and our trucks? As someone who worked auto parts for years, I can tell you that, amazingly, there was no tutorial on preferred IDI glow plug brands...

Mike

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know ripping on the general ineptitude of your typical parts store worker is common fodder on automotive forums, but did you seriously expect the parts guy to know about Autolite GPs and our trucks? As someone who worked auto parts for years, I can tell you that, amazingly, there was no tutorial on preferred IDI glow plug brands...

Mike
Exactly. That's why you're supposed to do your own research beforehand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The counter clown is trained to move what's in the store. There is a huge chance that the clown has no idea what an idi even is.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've given up on places like O'Really's, AutoZoo, and PoopBoys unless I'm buying a new set of wiper blades. That's all they are basically good for. Superficial stuff.

For my IDI parts, I just buy everything online (usually from R&D or other approved vendors), looking for specific brands and types that I personally know work. For my VW TDI, I shop ID Parts and Bora Parts cuz they know what they are selling. The rest is just EBay and CL finds, and also car-parts.com is good for used parts. Walmart has the cheapest prices for Rotella. And there are great online filter places like Dieselfiltersonline.com and other discount places for filters.

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carquest, ast least in my town has great people that know exactly what I need and actually work on cars, one guy drives a pristine pontiac GTO that he built, so I'd look for a carquest cause my experience has been great, the autozone has a 16 uear old HS girl working alone sometimes and has to look up FUEL LINE on the computer. :Thumbs Up

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carquest, ast least in my town has great people that know exactly what I need and actually work on cars, one guy drives a pristine pontiac GTO that he built, so I'd look for a carquest cause my experience has been great, the autozone has a 16 uear old HS girl working alone sometimes and has to look up FUEL LINE on the computer. :Thumbs Up
Sadly no carquest here

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks..
We have O'Riley's,autozone, pep boys and the worst napa ever. I think the flunkies from the other stores end up @ napa so dont even bother with going there.

Pep boys has to order everything from st. Louis and that takes 7-10 days. Autozone isn't too bad as long as the manager isn't there. O'Riley's is by far the best here. They do list the motorcraft parts if the guy scrolls down to look.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Advanced auto and carquest are the same thing.
We have them all here. Napa, bumper to bumper, oreilly, Autozone, advanced, pepboys, auto plus, small mom and pops, salvages, dealerships, etc.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of spoiled being set up online with O'riellys and Carquest. Allows one to look up parts, shows different prices, options and availability. Add to cart, order, wait for there delivery truck. Prefer the constant turnover of countermen.

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently went to Orielys auto parts for glow plugs for my 1989 f350 idi. The guy behind the counter said he had 8 in stock and that they were AUTOLITE's. I took them home and installed them. The truck started once. Then the whole GP relay clicking thing started and NO start. Started reading online about AUTOLITE GP's. Proceeded to Remove the autolites and ordered MOTORCRAFT at Oriely's. A lot of these parts guys don't tell you that there is other/ better parts available, YOU HAVE TO ASK !!! This has become regular practice for me (Although I didn't with the glow plugs), because I initially though Autolite was connected to FORD , which I found out recently, They are not-Autolite is owned by FRAM. The autolite/ford connection ended years ago, from what I've read. Never knew that.

Anyways, I got my Motorcraft GP's @ $3 more each, installed them and now she fires right up, every time. I also installed a new voltage regulator and once again, asked if they offered a better one. The first one was Chinese made for $19, he went in back and brought out a motorcraft for $23, 3 times as heavy as the Chinese one. You have to ask !!!-inferior parts suck.
Make SURE they're not broken, my grandfather got champion glow plugs and one broke off and embedded in the piston champion is for spark plugs not glow plugs.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advanced auto and carquest are the same thing.
We have them all here. Napa, bumper to bumper, oreilly, Autozone, advanced, pepboys, auto plus, small mom and pops, salvages, dealerships, etc.

I listed our only options. The big box stores ran the small mom and pop stores away 20+ years ago.Same with Hardware stores. Only option here is Lowes and Home depo. Cant get lumber anywhere else!