more "possibly stupid" upgrade questions

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I plan to do a lot of heavy towing "10k+" I want to go with 238/100 hybrids but I'm stuck on the turbo to go with? I read a lot of speculation. I do not plan to do any other upgrades, perhaps exhaust in the later future, already have a ram intake. h2e, or d66? or neither? I want to go with the hydra chip, and guages. my rig is a 2000 dually with the zf-6. I don't necessarily need 500 HP but I can always turn it up with the hydra in place if I want/need to:sly. I also want the very best deal I can get, don't mind reman injectors, or turbo. bolt on is a must, stock everything, fuel, HPOP etc. I can't handle high egt's, or trans temps, and don't like turning my cyl. into a forge. Let me know if I'm headed in the right direction. I just want the skinny before I commit a rather large chunk of change to doing this. I need a daily driver, with good MPG and great towing capability. I just want to avoid being that guy doing 45 pulling up a hill with 10K behind me with the flashers on.:rotflmao

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like rosewood diesel injectors are the way to go for reman at 1650 thats a deal, everyone else is in the 1800+ range. since the d66 can only be had from beans I guess I'll have to go with them, and the hydra, well there is only one vendor I can find for that too. I'll source my pyro from aircraftspruce.com and get a gauge pod for tranny/boost from somewhere. any suggestions on who has the best tunes to burn for my needs?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've read some pretty good things about the d66.
A lot of it will have to do with gearing.
You can't really overheat that transmission. I mean technically you could, but it would take insane power will a crazy heavy load. Enough to twist the transmission case.
As far as high EGT's go, most of that will be taken care of in the tunning.
Oh another popular turbo is the GTP38R with stage 1's for a heavy hauler.

For the best info, you should be checking other sites. This one isn't too hot on the psd's.

Try psn, psa, and tds.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont need hybrids just to drag a trailer.youre not sled pulling or racing.stage 1s are plenty.

Stock turbo is fine as well.

Twildman or dp tuner for chip and programs.

You would most likely be fine with just the 18k mod, idm mod and exhaust.you dont need to spend a ton of money just to get a little more power.first problem is youre building for horsepower when you should be building for torque.torque gets you up the hill.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking into said mods. As well as stage 1 options. I see that going big on injectors isn't a good idea? Couldn't I just de-tune and change later for when I'm not towing? Or am I missing something??? Looks like more fuel means more egt's but that can be fixed with tuning, right? I think that the 38r is he way to go for quick spool throttle response. Especially for towing, more is always better is kind of how I was thinking. So what combo nets the most tOrque then? I'm listening. But I think I may have been bitten by the bug.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Quick spool isn't always better. That could mean way too high drive pressure in higher rpm's.

The way bigger injectors aren't really that great for heavy towing. Yes they can be detuned to a point, but really only needed for drag racing or sled pulling where a huge turbo will be used.

Stage 2 hybrids would be good for all around use.

You may look into upgraded clutchs also. Forgot to mention that.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea, I guess I never thought of that because they would just sell their product without regard for what my needs are. "trust issues"

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea, I guess I never thought of that because they would just sell their product without regard for what my needs are. "trust issues"

I dealt exclusively with beans diesel performance.when I was dealing with them they had the best customer service, didn't try selling me anything I didn't need.

No matter who you talk to, they're gonna want to sell thier products.write down what they recommend and check what others have to offer.

Id stay away from swamps if they're still in business.read too many bad things about them.ive ridden in and drove trucks with thier products, did not impress me at all.from what I remember, they're customer service isn't all that great either.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look into dumping your split shot injectors for singles and programming to run them.iirc this was a good setup for towing.

If you want some good reading and a ton of psd info go check out our sister site, www.superdutydiesel.com .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online