More lift

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible to put blocks under the front leafsprings of my 1993 f-250 or will it interfere with my steering components? It already has a 4 inch lift. i figure why not four more?? :sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Not really a safe method of lift as they could spit out and leave ya in a world of hurt.
Springs are the safest.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
you have the TTB front end unless you swapped it out. you need drop brackets and bigger springs to lift it. plus crossover steering for 8" of lift. And that front end will be very unreliable youll just brake something. 4" is the most I would go on it 6" is pushing. block under the front end are not safe for on road driving. swap in a dana 60 and youll be good to go though.

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the dana 60 will give me a sturdier foundation if I did add more lift? How would the steering be affected if I did the swap?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
yeah the 60 is alot stronger then the ttb set up especially with more lift. you can get high steer arms and convert to crossover steering.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
you have the TTB front end unless you swapped it out. you need drop brackets and bigger springs to lift it. plus crossover steering for 8" of lift. And that front end will be very unreliable youll just brake something. 4" is the most I would go on it 6" is pushing. block under the front end are not safe for on road driving. swap in a dana 60 and youll be good to go though.

Interesting. I have 8" on my TTB50, with 38's, and it gets aired down and wheeled hard, driven daily, and hauls quite often. Since I took out the 44 and went to the 50 I've only broke one axle universal (in 8 years.) Steering angles are steep, but not excessive (doesn't 'have' to have crossover) since things aren't wearing out, I just keep it greased regular.
I agree about not adding any blocks to the front, that's only asking for trouble. But don't always jump to the idea of ditching the TTB, for some people it's not cost feasible, or desired.

Chris

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I have a ttb 50 on one of my trucks with 6" lift and 36 super swampers and I go easy on it so I dont break anything. For me a 60 is not cost effective to swap in either. I have seen a lot of messed up ttb 50s though and had enough people warn me going to big with them. If you are going to go big and play hard with it a dana 60 would be better after messing with a broke ttb a few times. not that its hard to break a 60 either. Also without a drop pitman arm my steering angle was terrible and my turning radius went to crap.

Last edited:

LPRS

Reaction score
more than 4" lift on an old ford? :dunno
stock w/ add-a-leaf will clear 33's, 4'' will clear 35's, right? wrong. trim the wheel well edge of your front bumper and you can clear 38" x 11.5. ;Sweet
my buddy did it to his old flat bed f-350. the 6.9 loves big ass tires and the crazy ass mounted them to the stock steel wheels!cookoo
if you're going to go 8" you might seriously look into the dana 60 swap, it's cheaper than everyone makes it out to be, especially if you are mechanically inclined.

i bought a whole extra truck to fix heater issues, a crappy old bed, internal door parts, front axle swap, rear axle swap (now i'll have posi rear), bushwhacker fender flares, interior cab light, spare transfer case, new bench seat, etc. it was much cheaper than trying to get everything i wanted out of the junk yard.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Aren't blocks on the steering axle illegal? Take a look at my steering axle, I am going to remove them if I don't sell the truck. The PO put them on for more lift, but I am pretty sure its illegal, not to mention a bad idea.cookoo
You must be registered for see images attach

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Lift & TTB don't really belong in the same sentence. I got a deal on my 60 & swapped it in, just threw in an add-a-leaf no lift but I am staying with 3.55 gears for now. All I can say is ride & steering wise it's only about 10x better then the TTB was.

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ill keep looking into it this summer. school gets out in two days so the job starts thursday afternoon. work my ass off. fix the FIPL and the VSS and swap the axle. add a turbo. dual stacks. "tweak" the pump ;). oh yeah. i got dreams for the truck. haha

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 4" lift on a TTB is no big deal. Moose Truck has been that way most of its life. Higher, and I would agree that it just won't look good. Blocks on the front end of any kind of axle is a big no no. Not only is it unsafe, but the 4X4 community will make you a laughing stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online