More Fuel Please

Samurai

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to these pages and looking for some info... I have a early 94 and know I need to increase the turbo inlet and outlet from 2" to 3". I know how to increase the boost. I also know that I must increase the fuel.. I have a diagram of the Injector Pump... What I need help with is: How do I increase the fuel? Rubberfish gave me this picture of the pump.. Does it show where the adjustment is made?

Attachments

• Injector pump.jpg
    Injector pump.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 29

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's showing the wrong side of the pump.

On the passenger's side of the injector pump, there is a triangle-shaped cover plate low on the body. If you take this cover plate off, you will see a shaft. Rotate the injector pump driveshaft (if the pump's on the engine, just bar the engine over) until you see an Allen-head set screw. CAREFULLY turn this screw clockwise (in) to increase fuel output.

If you have a pyrometer, the sky's the limit (just, if you decide to screw it all the way in, back it off 1/2 a turn or so, to keep the shaft from binding up), but if you don't, I would suggest getting one before playing with this screw. You'll get more fuel, but your EGT's will also go up, to the point where you run the risk of a meltdown.

Hope this helps a bit...good luck!

rubberfish

Reaction score
Samurai said:
Hey, I'm new to these pages and looking for some info...
See man, I told you these guys know their ****.

Ken's a good buddy of mine,
unless he makes an ass out of himself,
then I've never met him before. ;) LOL
He's a fairly new idi owner, and of course you guys
came to mind right away when he started asking questions.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before you pull the cover make sure things are very clean. This area is after the fuel filter and ANY dirt getting in will ruin the pump and injectors. Place a rag under the pump so it catches the fuel that will pour out. I wear white surgical gloves so I can "see" dirt that I get into even though I've cleaned everything. When they show dirt I change them. The pyrometer is a must have item. Otherwise the motor may melt down because you have no idea whats happening. The posted information is about the best your going to find anywhere because we have tried this and more. This is what works. Best of luck and post questions if you run into something you don't understand. Someone is always here to help.

Samurai

Reaction score
:hail Thank you very much :thumbsup: With that info, it's time to do the turbo in & outlets... A local shop gave me a price I was happy with. I have a lot of stuff to do if I want to keep up with Rubberfish ;Sweet . Upgrades have been done to the transmission after I blew it up in my driveway. It's guaranteed to handle anything the NaviStar can push at it ;Really . I plan on testing that guarantee.
Thanks again for the info, I will put it to good use.