More BOOST

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can i change the boost on my turbo it is a stock garret turbo how high can i make it boost and still be safe.:dunno

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If it has a waste gate then I believe there is a nut You turn to close it so You get more boost, if not then You can get a bigger air filter and make the intake as big as You can and that will help too. That is about as much as You can do with out doing any major changes to what You already have.

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a wastegatd turbo could i put a valve between the inlet and the wastegate so it limits the amount of air that is used to pull the wastegate open.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you go messing with anything...do you have a pyrometer and a boost gauge? You need both before you mess with anything. After that see what you have... max safe boost is around 13 psi and max egt around 1000. Some say you can go up to 1250 and this is very true if you are taking your reading from the manifold or not more than 3" back into the crossover pipe, but it assumes that everything else is working perfectly and your pyro is reading spot on or slightly hot. The real world requires you to have a fudge factor. For example I know my pyrometer probably reads 50-100 degrees cooler than it should and the ATS port on the 088(not sure about the factory turbo) is about 200*F cooler than a manifold mount, hence they advise never to go over 1050. I would adjust the wastegate as much as I could before simply plugging it, and also turn up my fuel as much as I could without getting too much smoke or damaging EGTs. Also a free flowing exhaust and intake helps a lot. Look into a Hypermax cowl induction or search here for the homemade "Moose Tube" or "Ghost Tube"

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you are still running with a stock turbo down pipe then get rid of it. Its been flattened by Ford to fit and keep the hp rating low so Ford could sell the powerstrokes in the end of the 94 year. a better open exhaust will help too. Most run a 4 inch straight pipe without a muffler. I sure doo and it sure helps keeping down the heat and back pressure.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I just wondered if he wanted to go that far into it. My understanding is that the exhaust flange on the Ford factory turbochargers will not easily accept a bigger down pipe without either modifying the flange or buying ATS $500 exhaust flange upgrade. A banks downpipe will fit there but they *may* be NLA by themselves, if they are they cost around $100.

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that this turbos down pipe is an aftermarket one or something its a 3 in pipe so i dont think its the stock one. i do have a pyro and boost gauge.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so what are you seeing by the gauges? Looks like you are already on the right track with the free flowing downpipe. What have you got for an exhaust, any muffler?

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent put the turbo on yet but when i do i want the most boost that i can get and im going to turn the fuel up so it will smoke some

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok... shoot for around 12 psi . It's amazing what even 1 psi will do for an IDI. We were assuming you had a 1992.5-94 factory turbo (C or K) vin code. Obviously this is an aftermarket ATS 093 which is the same kit except for the fact that Ford used the restrictive downpipe for easier firewall clearance. As a result the exhaust flange was also smallish and restrictive. None of these issues are a factor with your kit. It sounds like you should bottom out the fuel screw and back it off just a hair, then drive by the gauges. That is if you are the only one to drive your rig, if someone else uses it, start with 3 "flats" about half way between stock and bottomed out.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I turned mine up 2 flats. It gave it some more kick, EGT's were hardly affected and it doesn't smoke with normal driving, but it will smoke if I put my foot down. I am looking to adjust my wastegate for more boost as well. Which way does the wastegate rod need to be turned to increase the boost? Do you make it shorter or longer, and how much should you move it at a time? I'm only looking to get 10psi.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I turned mine up 2 flats. It gave it some more kick, EGT's were hardly affected and it doesn't smoke with normal driving, but it will smoke if I put my foot down. I am looking to adjust my wastegate for more boost as well. Which way does the wastegate rod need to be turned to increase the boost? Do you make it shorter or longer, and how much should you move it at a time? I'm only looking to get 10psi.

wondering this too. i plugged mine, but it will build 12+ real fast. and when i tow i like to tow hard and i dont really want to pedal to modulate my boost. so i would like to hook the wastegate back up but would like build more boost than the 10 lbs it did

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shorten it to increase boost, it will be hard to get more that 13 ish with the stock air inlet and a muffler. I have a full 4 inch exhaust with muffler that is straight thru , one day I am goint to unhook my coupler midcab and see if the boost is any quicker.
The pyro temps will be affected by fueling and boost, I can run near 1200 till the boost comes up to 13 then it stays at 1000/1100, IF I can keep the revs above 2k. My pump is a stock rebuild turned wide open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin