Molasses Carnage Corrections

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Today began paint work. I got the hood sanded down nicely with 80 grit, then wet sanded with 180 grit and wiped it off. The cowl panel was a different story. So many layers of paint that I just hit it with 80 grit (realized I didn't hit it with 180 grit at all!) and got the faded top coat off. It was red, black, factory primer and bare metal. Got both of those in a coat of primer (we'll see how I did tomorrow). I had to tee off two 10 gallon compressors to run the sander, but it worked. Tomorrow I'll wet sand them both and get another coat of primer on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wednesday UPS will be delivering the 4th and hopefully final (undamaged) fender and the hood and cowl will get coated in flat black. Monday I'll tape them off so only the raised portions will have the flat finish on them to cut down on road glare.

Got the fuse block and genero grill today when I got home. While I was waiting on the brass tee for the air compressors to show up I installed the new fuel tank switch on the dash. I'm pretty sure the level sender in the front tank is dead since it pegs the gauge. But, at least the factory FSV works now and I have the generic replacement if I ever need it. I may be able to get the entire sending unit out of the tank without cutting the tank, but that'll be a project all its own. The tabs on the locking ring are too brittle to get the ring off, but I may be able to get ahold of the ring and pull it out in pieces.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be raising the hood higher off the ground, wet sanding it and the cowl, shooting another coat of primer and getting the fuse block installed so all the accessory wiring is done. We're WAY past due being back on the road...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're WAY past due being back on the road...

Man did you say a mouth full there.

I would probably wet sand it down finer than 180. I'd recommend taking it down to 400. You're probably going to see sanding scratches down at 180.

Glad you are close to getting it back on the road.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Man did you say a mouth full there.

I would probably wet sand it down finer than 180. I'd recommend taking it down to 400. You're probably going to see sanding scratches down at 180.

Glad you are close to getting it back on the road.

I have 400 or 600 grit for wet sanding between coats. Unfortunately my spray bottle that I bought just for this and only used today had the head half broken off :mad:

I'll deal though.

Hope you're getting stuff squared away to keep up that momentum on Big Red!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Last coat of primer for the visor, hood and cowl panel. Ran out part way through recoating the hood, but fortunately I got all the spots that'll end up red. You can see the lines on the hood.

Wiring is getting there! Ran the power/ground leads for the CB and put 100% of the trim back on. Fuse block is wired up. I just need some 15A fuses, an 8g crimp terminal and some of the 8g wire I have at the house and all the accessories will be good to go.

Now I just need to clean the crap and tools out of the cab :rotflmao

Talking a short break and thinking of what else needs done. I really want to tinker with the lock ring on the front tank, but if I pull that rusty thing out I'll have to go spend another $20 for a new one and I really shouldn't right now.

Hmm, maybe I will clean the cab out. Maybe :D

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Well here's what I ended up doing instead. Got the bumper hung and grill guard hung on that. Had to pull the sway bar off the frame to get the lower guard mounts lined up. Sway bar bushing bolt were easy, but the rusty hardware on the grill guard was an up hill battle. But now I can just lounge it up and tighten the everything down once the body is all back on.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I failed to get a pic of the completed wiring on the aux panel so only one picture today.

So first coat of flat black went on, one more tomorrow. The aux fuse block is all wired up and functionality check for all lights was A-OK. Before I got the paint mixed up toast I finally got a straight driver's side fender delivered! w00t! Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the tools off the front and the crap of the running boards (storage shelves) and cleaning out the cab so I cab throw panels on and go when painting is done. Got my 4mm number punch set in the mail today and just paypal'ed @icanfixall for a timing meter rental. Hopefully it shows up early next week and I can get 'er timed while paint is drying.

That's all for now!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Last coat of flat black went on today. Then the spray gun got a thorough cleaning for Mondays first coat of red enamel on EVERYTHING. Cut and tapped up some more paper so all I'll have to do is trim it and tape it on the hood so the raised portion stays flat black. Pulled the passenger side fender and wrapped it back up in the cardboard for Monday. Also mocked up the new headlights and grill and put bolts in the buckets to mount the grill up, then put it all back in the boxes safe and sound.

I did crawl under the truck and played with the front fuel tank sender some. That info is detailed here...

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?76960-One-Fuel-Tank-Pegs-Gauge

Got the batteries pulled and greased all the cable ends. Also made a ground jumper for the starter relay so I can toss the batteries back in when the timing meter arrives and get that taken care of.

Then I came home and found these!

Gotta find out what the hold up is on the 7 blade socket and wiring kit from etrailer. Plan to get this sucker in and wiring all done for it while paint is drying next week.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
First coat of red went on. The seal on my face mask/respirator obviously didn't work around my glasses, so the lenses got painted too (as well as the sides of my head, hair and nose hair). But at least the taped off lines don't look too bad. I had to get a bit creative with hanging the panels in the small space.

Went from this...

To this...

Really wish whoever painted the truck in IH red before had used the Majik brand enamel from TSC so it didn't fade so bad.

Tried for about 3 hours to time the IP and talked with Harry some. #1 injection line has 2 spots on it that are almost a mirror finish now as well as the entire dampener. The longer tube on my timing plate was wobbly so after still having jumpy readings I used Gary's 5/16" drill bit to ream it out and put some JB Weld on the outside. After I started cleaning the inside of the tube it wouldn't read at all, so tomorrow I'll be attempting to pull the timing plate off so I can run a .410 bore brush through it. Hopefully it'll work then. I must say, I dislike having to tape off the curved lines on the body panels and am not looking forward to doing it again tomorrow, but that's what I get for wanting the flat black patch (to cut down on glare). Looks sharp too, but the lines aren't perfectly smooth/straight. Hoping tomorrow is more fruitful and less frustrating. Now I'm off to try and scrub the IH red of myself and out of my nose! LOL

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I mixed a little too much hardener in with the last coat of black so it's not quite as "flat", but it'll do. And I couldn't just do the whole thing flat black against the red fenders, so 2 tone was the way too go. Now Bruiser's flat black hood and cowl look pretty good against the white fenders, but then if this one was all black people would think I was predictable!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
timing plate? *** you talkin about Willis.
the timing gear cover?