Molasses Carnage Corrections

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Looks like photobucket is having problems. I'll update with pics later.

But anyway, the diamond plate shifter surround panel is in and pretty! And luckily when I made it home about an hour ago, the other 3 pod 12V accessory panel was in the mailbox. That will go in tomorrow. Got the single 12V outlet installed on the back of the floor console, another piece of 1/4" diamond plate in the overhead console to finish it off and hide the wiring. Interior is almost back together, just need to swap the driver's metal door handle out in Bruiser for the plastic one was get the metal one on the Enterprise. Then driver's door panel goes on. Also have to pickup just one more roll of red and black wire so I can get the CB power/ground leads ran before the passenger side kick panel goes back on. UPS will be delivering yet another driver's side fender Thursday, so everyone cross your fingers that it's undamaged! If it's good then paint will start next week.

Let's see here, got all the new LED marker, turn, brake and reverse lights in. A word of warning for electronic turn signal relays on bricknose trucks, the fusebox is wired backwards for the relay. Mechanical relays and incandescent lights don't care, relay will work regardless, but I purchased 2 round, two pin relays that have ground wires on them and they only work one way. Hazard relay was good to go (thanks @towcat, least I think it was you, for schooling me on the hazard relay location and costing me another $13 for another relay LOL ). So I pulled the fusebox and reversed the pins for the turn signal relay so no janky adapter harness was involved.

UPDATE (LED relay part number) - CEC EF32RL is the brand/part number for LED 2-pin turn signal/flasher relays for our trucks. It has a wired lead for grounding. As stated above, you may need to reverse the pins for the turn signal relay in the fuse box.

I ordered a new fuel selector switch for the dash since I can't tell if it's working (or both tanks have the same amount of fuel at a little under 1/2 a tank).

And @riotwarrior shipped out a nice n' clean washer fluid resevoir for me today! Real ready for everything to fall in place and get my truck back! All just depends on this fender.

Grill guard will be back together tomorrow and ready to wire. I need a few washers before the core support can get tightened down and the radiator will go in. Hopefully I'll get that done and the cooling system burped.

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Photobucket is back up!

You must be registered for see images attach

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score

Mid day update today. Got the radiator in and attempted to burp the system. Only got 5.5 gallons in the cooling system and she's topped out. Going to let her cool off while I go get shorter bolts for the core support bushings. I did notice that she was idling at about 800 rpms after the cold idle kicked off, so I adjusted the idle stop down to 700 rpms. Other than that, I started the day with the interior. All 12V accessories are done, just waiting on the fuse block.

Shifter shroud done. Switches on left from top to bottom in the future will be as follows.
1. Green - E-fan auto controllers.
2. Amber - 2 fan manual control
3. Amber - Other 2 fans manual control
4. Green - York 210 compressor ON with pressure circuit.

12V outlet at the back of the floor console. I noticed when looking at this pic that the section of wood that drinks rest on (for cup holders) isn't level. And here I thought that was the only level part when I screwed it all together. I hate that it was assembled with stables, but I'll fix that whenever I get to the e-fans and switches.

And I got the fuse/repast panel right on! Fits perfectly in there.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Core support is now bolted down. I couldn't find a torque spec for the bushings, but I did find one for the 99+ trucks that stated 60 ft. lbs., so that's what I torqued them to. I so have about half a gallon of Fleetcharge and 1/4 gallon of distilled water that the cooling system won't drink, but in thinking that may be what goes in the overflow resevoir. My thought is that maybe when the books state that the cooling system capacity is 8 gallons with the super cooling option they are including the overflow tank.

Before I left I cut out a strip of thin steel sheet and bent/drilled it to make a tension bracket for the KW emblem on the grill guard. Yeah, it's happening :D

Got my grill ordered today for $55 on ebay. It's just an aftermarket aluminum flat bar grill. The pretty factory chrome that has been painted red in between the slats to match the [original] body color is cracked, barely in one piece and only has one unbroken clip. Since it's going to be hiding behind the grill guard anyway, I figured I'd go with the cheap/plain dress-up grill.

While running the truck to burp the cooling system, my grandparents neighbor (was a higher up at KW, now retired) came over to say it sounds good and geek out a bit. I did forget this morning to grab the metal door handle off Bruiser, but it's now waiting for me to install it on the Enterprise tomorrow so the door panel can go back on for awhile until I pull the speaker grills out of Bruiser's door panels (currently installed, but I have undamaged ones to swap into her).

Assuming this fender that's arriving Thursday is undamaged, I'm looking at 2 weeks before I'm driving her again. The fenders and stone deflector will get painted at the same time, then strip and prep/paint the cowl and sun visor and reinstall. I've decided in going to throw the bent up hood on while I'm stripping/prepping/painting the new-to-me hood so I can get some things done with the truck. Gotta start hauling!

Maybe next week I'll hit up @icanfixall for a timing meter, if I get my IP wrench worked the rest of the way out. Just needs a little more of an angle from the boxed end, but I don't have a torch or forge to heat it (and my forced air heater isn't big enough, lol). I verified that my new/reman #2 injector is ticking and I strongly suspect it's from the timing. I'll be getting steel stamp punches before timing so I can clearly mark different base timings. In thinking 4mm numbers?

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
A short day today that started out alright and ended in disappointment...

Installed the driver's metal door handle and reinstalled trim panel, dug out the broken half of the ABS sensor, lunged the hole with anti-seize and replace it with a new one. Then the frustration of trying to sand the Lund visor with a pneumatic orbital sander and a 10 gallon compressor, but I got it done. My dad is loaning me his electric orbital next week. Pulled the jack stands and set her down on the ground again.

Then...

UPS freight driver calls to say he's on his way. Dispatcher didn't tell anyone that this "next" fender wasn't suppose to be delivered until tomorrow when I was home. So I high tail it to meet him and what did I find? THE EXACT SAME FENDER! Just in new packaging this time. They didn't even bother to change the cardboard that the fender was wrapped in. So I get to wait until tomorrow to talk to someone since LMC customer service leaves at 5pm.

On a good note, I received a very clean washer fluid resevoir from @riotwarrior Thanks Al!

Ready to wet sand and primer.

And yeah, this happened today... :D

Let's do a fender damage comparison real quick.

Picture taken of fender delivered on April 19th, 2016

Picture taken of fender delivered today, April 27th, 2016

Look the same don't they?

I'm going to demand that they take pictures of the next (4th) replacement fender before they send it out to me. This crap is way past old. Looks like I'll be running the first damaged fender and the good passenger side fender with no paint and just take them back off when I finally get a straight driver's fender. So next week is hood/cowl panel stripping/priming/painting I suppose.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That overhead console has me thinking...hmmm...switches...radios...3 of em....

The floor console is cool too...but I have a factory junk box there :rotflmao

Looking good....damn fenders....

Thanks for sharing

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it ain't the same one it's damn near it. Are you sure it's not a shipping error and the damaged one never actually got back to lmc? My experience with lmc was good. My experience with ups frieght not so much. I bet it got marked for re-delivery instead of delivery refused for damage. Coming early makes me think that too.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The driver told me the dispatchers never pay attention. The lady called me Monday about delivering it today and I asked to have it delivered tomorrow. And I thought it was a different fender until I compared the pics. Exact same curl and scuff marks. But it did make it back to them as the tracking showed it coming from Kansas again. I think they have a snot nose kid working the warehouse dock or something.

I am really proud of the work I did on the consoles. The holes for the switches aren't perfectly aligned since I don't have a drill press handy, but they sure do look good. Even inspired a few folks on the IDI Diesel Owners group on FB and the diamond plate has wowed everyone that's looked at it. I'm really anxious to get the fuse block (is in the states now!) and test out the chargers and while shebang on a long haul. Now I just need to get a Galaxy 959 and mount the bracket on the bottom of the overhead console (antenna wiring 100% done, just need to run power/ground wires for CB when I remove the passenger side fender). May have to move the rear view mirror down a little on the windshield, but it'll totally be worth it :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna be saweet driving that for sure.

Like the lil USB charge ports...kight have to comsider couple of them in the bigger plan.

Hope your tanks squirts and you dont need to swap pumps.

Keep it coming.

Oh ya...plasma cutter works well for aluminum :rotflmao and stainless

Just sayin ;Poke

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I wish I had a plasma cutter, but it's just another tool on the wishlist right now. A fast cut metal blade in a jigsaw worked out great for the 1/8" diamond plate. I ordered a 4 1/2" cutting wheel made specifically for cutting aluminum that laserjock suggested. Wish I had done that with the first piece of 1/4 plate I cut. So much smoother. About 12" of cutting through the 1/4" plate was all I could get out of a standard Dewalt metal cutoff disc for the grinder.

Called LMC again today and talked to the same lady I did before. I think someone in the warehouse is going to loose their job from the tone of her voice. Sent her 6 pics. She was very nice with me again and is going to have them unwrap the next fender to verify that it's undamaged and is going to try to get them to send me a picture of it before it gets shipped out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K damnit I canna finda link...for aluminum cuttjng discs....crqp...where do ya order em from guys???