mods needed for increasing boost?

DNR0721

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

New to the diesel scene, but long time shade tree mechanic.
Currently swapping 351 gasser in a 1990 F350 CC Dually for a 7.3 IDI w/factory Garrett turbo from a 1992 F250 XLT Lariat.

I am trying to do this right from the beginning and looking to get some decent, but not crazy HP gains through turbo boost and fuel adjustments.

So what are the necessary mods needed for increasing boost without trashing the engine? I plan to install new head studs in place of stock head bolts, ceramic coat the pistons and install exhaust gas temp gauge. Intercooler will be added, but possibly not for awhile unless someone has a line on one for free :D

Will be posting pics soon of the transformation process.

DragRag

Reaction score
A pump that delivers MORE fuel, lock down the waste gate, yes on intercooler, get rid of the smashed up down pipe if it is a stock turbo system as you say it is. They didn't come on 92's by the way, but may have been a factory's unit off of a later truck that was swapped on. I think about the most you will get boost wise is prob about 18 psi plus or minus. Reduce compression if you want more boost then that, compression ratios are to high on these engines. Boost will be a bit lower with the intercooler though.

DNR0721

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yeah, very interesting about the turbo on a '92. I don't know how to answer that. I'll have to post some pics to see if you guys can help me figure that out? Did the trucks with factory turbo always come equipped with boost gauges? Cuz' this truck doesn't have one.

DNR0721

Reaction score
Intercooler questions

So on the intercooler, anyone know the minumum diameter piping that needs to be used?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a target boost level at all? Also if you want to add more fuel, there are two sources. Mel aka Agnem on here sells the Moose Pump and Moose Misters. Dps also sells and hotter pump and stage 1 injectors too. As far as boost goes, the closer you get to 20psi the hotter the boost gets so an intercooler would be highly recommended and also maybe add a 60-1 wheel to the turbo for increased efficiency too. Typ4 can add the better compressor wheel for you...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 pushing it way hard would not recommened that at all without arp studs you will lift your heads 10 to 15 is where you wanna be on a stock build

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya it is definitely hard without studs. He said he is putting in studs, so with studs and an intercooler IMO he would be good to go. Especially if he gets a wheel upgrade. That would help a lot!

DNR0721

Reaction score
Do you have a target boost level at all? Also if you want to add more fuel, there are two sources. Mel aka Agnem on here sells the Moose Pump and Moose Misters. Dps also sells and hotter pump and stage 1 injectors too. As far as boost goes, the closer you get to 20psi the hotter the boost gets so an intercooler would be highly recommended and also maybe add a 60-1 wheel to the turbo for increased efficiency too. Typ4 can add the better compressor wheel for you...

I had not put a final number on the boost level yet. New to both the diesel and turbo scene - so was trying to get input as to what would be kosher for the setup I am aiming for.

I am planning to run an IC, get studs for the heads, new fuel pump (thanks for the line on the Moose Pump), and also getting piston heads and combustion chambers ceramic coated, and running new exhaust.

Do I need to worry about anything else?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you got it covered pretty good maybe watermeth injection would be nice to level out the egts for those long hills if your gonna tow with it

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you got it covered pretty good maybe watermeth injection would be nice to level out the egts for those long hills if your gonna tow with it

before doing water **** you are going to want to do a cam...the cams in these are NOT made for a turbo...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cam and water/methanol both would be good. You will be making pretty good power with all those mods and still be really reliable even at 20psi. I really think that is a good list.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else about the cam is that there are twon available. You can get one from Typ4 here. His cam is built for low end power. The other cam is built for trucks that are turboed. It provides better top end breathing. If you are interested in that one, pm me and I can pm you the info on how to get it.