misc ramblings and notes on a factory 6.5 into a 73-87 pickup

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I fired up the motor, the driver's side pushrods bent. all of them. nothing happened to the passenger side onescookoo

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Your running a reground cam right? Maybe something off with it? I always had pushrod trouble with my reground cam...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your running a reground cam right? Maybe something off with it? I always had pushrod trouble with my reground cam...
dieseldummy....
I ordered a set from Smith Bros. It's a custom length set with the 3/8" balls on the ends. we'll see how that does. I had words with my buddy who owns the machine shop that rebuilt the motor. There was no need to regrind a roller cam and the result was yet another delay. If this doesn't work, the cam is coming out and a used "******" is going in. I have one more parts 6.5 that I can pull parts out of;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow....just shy of one year....

the last update had the bent pushrods. new ones was bought and they not only bent but also shattered a rocker(factory stamped steel) and another dropped into the crankcase and wrapped itself around the crank.
in short, motor was yanked out again and rebuilt once again.
fast forward to today. third time "should" be a charm. installed motor, plumbing hooked up, we'll see what happens in a few hours.
note to everyone......
do not mess around with reprofiled cams in these motors-cuss

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
the last update had the bent pushrods. new ones was bought and they not only bent but also shattered a rocker(factory stamped steel) and another dropped into the crankcase and wrapped itself around the crank.
in short, motor was yanked out again and rebuilt once again.
fast forward to today. third time "should" be a charm. installed motor, plumbing hooked up, we'll see what happens in a few hours.
note to everyone......
do not mess around with reprofiled cams in these motors-cuss

I agree with the highlighted text. I had more pushrod/rocker arm problems with a diesel depot regrind than I can remember... Not a good thing with the over valve cover injector lines.

Good luck on the 3rd one!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ignition sucessful:thumbsup:
finally. after two damn years.
now to build a wiring harness and install gauges.
hey DD,
any suggestions/pictures for a IC setup for the older dogs?

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
I read somewhere, a guy has been running a homemade one he built from a universal one he bought off e-bay. had a total of like 350 into it, he reversed the intake so it pointed to the drivers side and plumed it around the front below the bumper, the only thing I'm gonna do different is install a steel mesh screen in front of it. I had the dimentions somewhere........not to sure on yer older body style, just throwing somtin out there.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
ignition sucessful:thumbsup:
finally. after two damn years.
now to build a wiring harness and install gauges.
hey DD,
any suggestions/pictures for a IC setup for the older dogs?

You need to get in touch with John8662 from that page. I think he goes by awsomechevyman on other boards. He can probably give you some insight on IC install since he's got on on his '82.

Glad to hear it's running! I've been daily driving mine again since the Dmax is getting injectors... I can't say it's been too bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online