1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

84 idi c6 4wd into a 75 390 c6 2wd

Discussion in 'Diesel Conversion Forum' started by Robert 85f250, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Robert 85f250

Robert 85f250 Registered User

I've been looking on here, and have found several posts about people who have done it, but nothing about the actual process of doing it, if there is a post that explains what I'm looking for is be happy with a link to that

So, here is what I have available
    1975 f250, 390 c6 2wd complete and driving
    1985 f250 idi 2wd, complete but not running
    The 1984 f250 idi c6 4wd that I plan to use as a donor. Truck was wrecked, 150k miles with good service history and a recent injection pump replacement that I can get for $500
    I want to swap in the idi and the 4x4 trans and rear end, and swap the front end in later on, I just want to get it on the road
    I want to know what problems I will have doing the swap such as
    1)Will the hot circuit for my coil run the IP activation circuit, or will I need to run a relay to provide enough power
    2)will the transmission bolt in, and will I need to swap crossmembers to make it work
    3) will the engine physically fit? Am I going to need to get creative with exhaust routing, or massage the inner fenders any, or swap front crossmembers/oil pan & pickup to make it fit
    4) engine mounts. Will I be able to run stock perches, if so will i need to run a certain mount, or are they too far off and need to be replaced completely

Or, anything else I may not be thinking of that will become a problem? Oil cooler/frame interference? Vacuum from the pump over/underpowering the brake booster? Anything like that?

I want to get it done with as little downtime as possible so I want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I start tearing into it

2. riphip

riphip Supporting Member Supporting Member