Messed up vacuum pump pulley

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I was going to replace the vacuum pump but the pulley doesnt want to come off and now im stuck.
I have a old power steering pump pulley I could use.
But would there be a difference in the alignment of the belt?
It would be a temparory fix until i get the right pulley.
Any thoughts or comments are helpfull thanks.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mmm I am not sure but you could try it for the meantime. Swing by the Stockton pick n pull (Clark drive off of hwy 99). They got lots of idi trucks there and should have that vacuum pulley you need.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Who has a extra vacuum pump pully there either will ing to sell or if they dont need since they had switched to hydroboost are willing to give it away I'll pay the shipping.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Mmm I am not sure but you could try it for the meantime. Swing by the Stockton pick n pull (Clark drive off of hwy 99). They got lots of idi trucks there and should have that vacuum pulley you need.

I have been there lots of time I live right down the street.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about deleting the vac pump and using a power stroke electric vac pump to run the heater controls (only on the hydro boost system of corse)

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I didnt know that there was a special adater for the power steering pump puller kit that I have.
Time to order this special adater.
Had I known that I needed a special tool I would have bought the tool and not ruin the pullley.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a v-belt pulley still attached to a pump on the shelf. Want the pump but you can have the pulley. I'll see if I have the proper puller for removal before I head out for work.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I have a v-belt pulley still attached to a pump on the shelf. Want the pump but you can have the pulley. I'll see if I have the proper puller for removal before I head out for work.
Yes sure Ill take it! It would be better if I could get just the pulley but I will take both whether or not you can get the pulley off.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rent a pulley puller at autozone free of charge. I used one when I had to replace my power steering pump. It should work for the vacuum pulley as well.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about deleting the vac pump and using a power stroke electric vac pump to run the heater controls (only on the hydro boost system of corse)

I'm doing exactly this using a late 80's volvo electric vacuum pump. I've got a later style electric cruise control box though. The pump I have might be strong enough to run a vacuum cruise system though - I wouldn't think you'd need that much volume for the cruise control.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dug out my ps pulley puller/installer to find that the shell halves don't quite fit due to the angle of offset on the pulley. There's enough material on the shell halves to grind a little off so they can get on the puller groove, probably will have it off and ready to go tomorrow.