Messed up vacuum pump pulley

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have the old v-belt pulley from my spare pump I would have just mailed you. My truck is a serp belt so it is destined for the recycle bin if no one needed it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have a camera here at work to take a pic, but on my f350 there is a 9/16 bolt threaded into the vacuum pump, presumably to hold the pulley onto the shaft. My pulley has taken to wobbling and today threw the belt (at which point I had no brakes, but that is a different story). I took the pump off and tried everything I could think of to get the bolt off so I could tight up the pulley. All it would do is turn the pump with out loosening. I take it from your responces, that bolt isnt supposed to be there?? I ordered a new pulley today hoping I could cut the bolt off and grab the shaft and the remainder of the bolt and get it off so I can replace the pulley. It sound like someone has "rube goldberged this thing and I may have to spring for a new pump as well? Does anyone have a pic of what it is supposed to look like. Does the allen head screw you talked about hold the pulley on, or is it strictly a press fit? Thanks for the help. Van

I'll do what I can to get a few pics of the FULL MEAL DEAL for ya tomorrow early AM

I've got a setup on the bench as I type but it's late and I won't be in shop till tomorrow.

So hope this can help.

Al

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, I cut the pulley off with a grinder and bought a new one. $22.00 on ebay. The problem is the shaft on my pump must be ground down some. The new pulley slides on very easy, and even has some play in it. What the last guys did was stick the bolt in to hold the pulley on, but because of the play, it just wallored itself out until it through the belt and was totally worth less. So it is either buy a new pump, or figure out some way to make this work that is better than the last guy. I was thinking about a washer that is bigger than the shaft so that the bolt actually tightens down on the pully instead of the shaft, and putting the pulley on with some epxoy and the bolt and see if between the 2 they will hold up long enough for me to get the hydroboost set-up figured out. Any ideas??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, I cut the pulley off with a grinder and bought a new one. $22.00 on ebay. The problem is the shaft on my pump must be ground down some. The new pulley slides on very easy, and even has some play in it. What the last guys did was stick the bolt in to hold the pulley on, but because of the play, it just wallored itself out until it through the belt and was totally worth less. So it is either buy a new pump, or figure out some way to make this work that is better than the last guy. I was thinking about a washer that is bigger than the shaft so that the bolt actually tightens down on the pully instead of the shaft, and putting the pulley on with some epxoy and the bolt and see if between the 2 they will hold up long enough for me to get the hydroboost set-up figured out.

Any ideas??

Ya replace vacuum pump plain and simple!