Mechanical fuel pump replacement tips needed

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92 F450 / ZF5/ 7.3 No Turbo.

Been smelling fuel for a while when I shut down and having a tea cup size puddle under the bell housing area. Did a start last night and had the hood up with flashlight to look for wet leaks at the fuel return lines, did a walk around look at the rest of fuel system on the engine and found the vent hole at the top of the mechanical fuel pump was spitting out fuel.

Guess it's time, huh... Anyone got any tips on best sealant to use to mount the new pump? Any other tips anyone can pass along? I seem to recall previous thread saying don't use a gasket... having a CRS moment about best approach..

I'm sure my mileage [which has been pretty bad lately] will now improve.. ;Really

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can, go electric. There are great tech articles in the tech sub-forum.
Just y two cents.
If you go back to mechanical, RTV Ultra always treated me right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Be careful what mechanical pump you buy. This forum has found some less than desirable makers. As for sealant just use a god grade rtv. Be sure the arm goes under the cam lobe. The rear bolt is tuff to fit in so install the front bolt first. Please replace the length of rubber fuel hose too. Its 3/8 hose and use 2 clamps.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im running a bran new mechanical pump.
if both surfaces are clean, you shouldnt need any sealent.
none on mine.
recently i found a drop of oil comming from the oil filter, but im using the longer PSD filter

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re " Be sure the arm goes under the cam lobe''. Deep breaths and patience. I had a bear of a time with the back bolt. Not as bad as removing and reinstalling the oil cooler in truck. I used the black rtv by permatex.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want the cam lobe to be at the low point so you aren't fighting the pressure of the lever arm. It is near impossible to "see" where the lobe is. I checked on my spare engine and when the timing is at TDC on #1 the cam lobe is on the low point. Sooo, rotate until timing lines up at 0 and if the lever arm resists, you are 180 out. I bought mine from Ford and used the gasket and ultra gray. If you have a v belt setup, remove the vacuum pump for better access.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean the block surgically clean...

spread a thin layer of Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket on block...aka Elephant snot...do same to new pump..put bolts in pump, place new gasket on pump the install pump...torque to spec!

JM2CW

However I'd really suggest going electric..

Just sayin...

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my digital camera in line with the hole in the block and took some pics to "see" where the cam lobe was at. That actually worked pretty good - just barred the engine over until the lobe was in the right place based on the pic.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ I've used that trick for other things like fishing wires through walls and such. Just don't drop the phone in a deep dark hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online