Mechanic said "I dunno" "makes no sense"

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Okay, so I left the 88 F250 7.3 IDI (150 K original miles) at a recommended mechanic,along with my 5200lb horse trailer(gooseneck) and said my problem was hils, inclines and cloud of black smoke when trying to climb. He took it out for several runs thinkin tranny might be bad....says its all clear. What makes no sense to him is that it seems like it cannot get past 3RPM, cannot get speed up ,too me it feels like I need another gear. ????!!! He said "i dunno"...I politely paid a labor bill and took all my toys home. Where do I begin? What should I ask?..... Feedback appreciated greatly!!!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like it cannot get past 3RPM

Well first off, that's pretty close to the governed speed, it's a diesel, not a high revving gasser. Governed RPM is somewhere around 3400rpm I think?

I'd try a new fuel filter (if you haven't replaced it) and a dose of "hotshots secret extreme" fuel treatment. It's around $14/bottle at Tractor supply. You want the fuel cleaner, not the everyday treatment.

How old is your air filter? Air filter restriction will make more black smoke.

Last edited:

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I left the 88 F250 7.3 IDI (150 K original miles) at a recommended mechanic,along with my 5200lb horse trailer(gooseneck) and said my problem was hils, inclines and cloud of black smoke when trying to climb. He took it out for several runs thinkin tranny might be bad....says its all clear. What makes no sense to him is that it seems like it cannot get past 3RPM, cannot get speed up ,too me it feels like I need another gear. ????!!! He said "i dunno"...I politely paid a labor bill and took all my toys home. Where do I begin? What should I ask?..... Feedback appreciated greatly!!!!

I feel like we get a post like this once every few weeks.

How long have you owned it? Does it have a turbo?

They don’t really like to go much above 3k rpm anyway. Normally aspirated they’ll belch smoke under load and don’t have a lot of power to start out with. You should install a turbo and (or) egt gauge if you want it to perform well pulling a 5k load up a hill.

as for the “feel like it needs an extra gear” comment, what is the final gear ratio, 4.10? It could be that your truck just runs out of gear. Keep in mind when these were built the speed limits were 55 in most places.

I re geared my 89 to 3.55 and I’m at about 2200 rpm at 70mph. With the original 4.10s it would be closer to 3k rpm than 2k. Really wasn’t too happy cruising at those rpm’s... super loud

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll go with the above question, How long have you owned this truck? Are you the original owner? If the truck has 150k miles has the IP been changed? The IPs on these trucks traditionally last 125-150k miles. If it has been replaced, where did the new IP come from? Did it come as surplus from UHaul? The Ford IP is governed at 3600RPM, I believe. UHaul, for it's rental fleet, governed their IPs down much closer to 3000RPM.

Are you dealing with the original IP, or a replacement? If a replacement, where did it come from?

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
You guys are really helping me! Thanks!!!!! It is not a turbo,I am not the original owner, I have only had it about 1 year.....all filters are clean and new. Do not know what an IP is( I just know horses..lol) so this is where I come to and get info and knowledge. Its getting that I cannot trust mechanics cause they think I dont know anything or that my money comes from a sugar daddy....lol No thank you...I work hard to support my horse habit!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not know what an IP is

Injection pump, the thing all the steel lines comes off of front and center on top.

Its getting that I cannot trust mechanics cause they think I dont know anything or that my money comes from a sugar daddy....lol

That coupled with younger mechanics that are clueless about these beasts that are as old or older than they are which doesn't help!

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Absolutely....I agree...I need to find me an oldtimer mechanic....dang young pups and all their computerized brains. Thanks chillman...you are as good as the apples I give to my horse!

Haulinhorse

Reaction score
Thank you Josh Bear....good tip...now that is something I can do! Kinda like getting your teeth cleaned...all kissy fresh! Lol...I am in the dental biz :thumbsup:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hotshot Extreme will do more/better cleaning through your tanks afterwards.
Yeah i forgot that was already posted. I've never used it but it has a great rep around here. You can do the same overnight soak as with the ATF I mentioned.