Maxing out the fuel screw?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
OK, so what’s the deal with maxing out the fuel screw? It seems like over at ‘the condescending stop dot com’ for the longest time everyone was saying, “don’t max out the fuel screw. You’ll hydro-lock the pump and be out a rebuildable core!” ;Really

Then, a couple of months ago someone called :bs on that whole idea, and said it was just an old wive's tale. Basically said that if you destroy your pump by maxing out the screw, your pump was on its last leg anyway. :***:

So what’s the consensus? I’m running about 1 flat from bottom, and after my intercooler install I’ve got a couple hundred EGTs burning a hole in my pocket. :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've run a hair off bottomed out and haven't had catastrophic results....YET... :D But then again, the death of a couple of my diesels could be attributed to my driving habits too. :eek:

bsays

Longgreenford
Reaction score
Maxx it out!!!

When I got my stage 1 injectors from Ken at DPS he said max it out, he said turn it in all the way till it bottoms out and then crack it back just a hair, he also said turn the fuel ramp screw (the external screw on the top,rear of the pump) all the way out till it is hanging on by just a couple of threads. Mine has been like this for about 3 months with no problems yet. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the reason there is some division over this, is that no one knows exactly how much give is needed in the spring. That's what your tightening in there - a spring. And appearantly conventional thinking suggests that since it is a spring, it should still have some give to it in order to keep from breaking whatever is in there that needs a spring to begin with. To draw an analogy, think of it as your rear leaf springs. Can you put enough weight in the bed until the bump stops hit, and drive it that way, or do you keep a half inch of space between the bump stop and the spring perch? Same idea.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have no turbo, what is the point of turning up the fuel?
I'm sure a little bit would help (to a point), but without better intake/exhaust it would seem dumping more fuel would be just that.... dumping in more fuel.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
your right ;Sweet ...a little bit helps an N/A truck, not much without upgraded intake and exhaust

On Edit: LPG can help burn a little more fuel also! :Sly

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
OK, so even Ken says to back it off a hair. And we know from his water injection info that he’s not at all a conservative guy. :D :rotflmao That being the case, I’ll bottom it out, and back it off a fraction. My usual system is to bottom it out and back it off 1 flat.

Maybe this year I’ll start looking at his stage 1 injectors, and or a modified pump. I’m worried about emission testing with those items though. :eek:

Last edited:

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
What are you guys calling a flat on the screw? Around here we measure it by 1/4, half turns etc. Never heard the turn flat. We run them in till they touch then backem off a half turn or so.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Guntherx said:
What are stage 1 injectors?
click here for DPS's web site, and then click on stage 1 injectors.
http://www.dps-performance.com/

RKOCH said:
What are you guys calling a flat on the screw? Around here we measure it by 1/4, half turns etc. Never heard the turn flat. We run them in till they touch then backem off a half turn or so.
1 flat is 1 of the hex sides on the screw or allen key. a little less than 1/4 of a turn.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
OK, so I maxed the screw and backed it off precisely 1 hair LOL . All I can say is:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

:Thumbs Up :peelout :rock:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Just to let you know Ken is the one that started saying that. I got that directly from him at the IDI event when everyone went to the races.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running mine like that for awhile, nothing seems to be hurting in the fuel area, it is just the rest of the truck that is having trouble keeping up. Scotty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online