Max Payload

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1985 F250 and I was wondering if a 3,000 pound camper is still under the max payload for the bed?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you turn the inj. Up 15%?
Check the door tag

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1985 F250 and I was wondering if a 3,000 pound camper is still under the max payload for the bed?
Look on your door jamb for the weight rating sticker. It will tell you what your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is, along with your Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) for both the front and the rear axle. These numbers represent the maximum weight that your truck's allowed to be at.

Then, go weigh your truck. Make sure you have a full load of fuel, whatever tools you normally carry, etc, but nothing in the bed that you don't carry as a matter of routine (i.e. no dirt bikes, but yes to your toolbox if you regularly keep it in the truck bed).

Subtract the results from your weighing from your GVWR and you'll have the total payload capacity of your truck. I'm pretty sure that, for a regular-cab F-250, the total payload capacity's going to be considerably lower than 3,000 lbs.

Things get more complex (axle weight ratings, tire weight ratings, etc), but that's the short version.

For what it's worth, I'm wary about putting a full-size slide-in camper on a SRW truck...even if the camper's within the weight limits, with something that tall on the back of your truck, I like the idea of the extra stability that training wheels allow...

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will be close to max gvw, the truck weighs in the 5500lbs range, your gvw is probably 8600lbs, 3000lb camper will be pretty close. have never seen an 85 with a dana 70 rear, have cut up 7 or 8 83/84s with the 70 but only seen 10.25 in the 85s. is your build date 08/84 or 09/84 ?

that is one of the most awesome offroading rear diffs, smooth housing for low mud drag huge internals.
sorry getting off topic, I'm new here. :oops:

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
The Dana 70 is out of a 1990 F350, the old owner broke the rear axle and replaced it. I am actually at school right now so there is no way for me to check when the truck was built.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online