Massive oil loss

Ford02

Reaction score
First of all its great to find a place with so much ( GOOD) information and ACTIVE members. The post title pretty much explains where I,m headed with this. I have a 2002 crewcab SD with 125000 miles on it .I had a major oil loss (10 quarts) Christmas Eve and after reading some of the postings here , I thought it was pretty clear I had some Bad injector o-rings. I pulled the injectors and found two that blew the bottom o-ring out and it was dumping the oil into my fuel system. I,ve changed all of the injector o-rings and now as a bonus the truck is hard to start if it sits for 20 minutes. There is no smoke and the oil pressure gauge doesnt seem to build up until the truck starts to fire up. The oil level is staying up now but is there a place where a piece of the broken o-rings could be stuck letting the oil drain back to the pan ?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to take the truck out on the highway and drive it like you stole it for about 50 or so miles to get all of the air out of the HP oil system after pulling the injectors.

Sometimes it takes a day or 2 to clear up and start better like it should.

As far as the pieces of o-ring go. IIRC they usually end up in the fuel filter housing..... Worst case is they get stuck in the injectors and mess them up.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tonka, you have air in your oil rails, very common after injector removal/install. Go blow the doors off it for about 20-30 miles and it should purge.

Ford02

Reaction score
I started out checking the oil in the HPOP reservoir in the morning before I started the truck and it was full. The oil also showed full on the dipstick. When I turned it over it took a long time (7 seconds) to start and didnt smoke or anything before it fired up. I drove it for about 20 miles and it ran perfect , When I got home I restarted the truck a few times and it started right away. After 30 minutes of sitting it was hard to start again. The fuel filter was changed when the injectors were done so I,m not to sure what to check next.

Ford02

Reaction score
I wanted to post a picture of the injectors so others could use it for a referance,
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

gtspowerstroke

Reaction score
How many miles do you have on it since you did the new O-rings? Also that lower o-ring will not leak oil into the fuel. The oil runs from the top o-rings that have the steel back up ring, the black square cut ring and the blue o-ring and the middle pink oval ring. Between the pink oval ring and the lower orange ring is fuel. Under the orange fuel ring is just an open cavity. If you have a copper chamber seal go out due to improper torqueing compression will get into that cavity and take out the lower orange ring causing a nasty knock and a ton of white smoke from the excess fuel running into the cylender.

It does sound like you probably had one or more of the middle pink oval rings or the top blue o-rings that had blown if your oil consumption issue has gone away though. If you don't have at least 50+ miles on it it's very possible for it to have the starting issues you describe. The air that is trapped in the oil rails expands as the engine sits pushing the oil out. It then take some extra time for that air to recompress and build pressure in the oil rail. This will happen until all the air is worked out which could take anywhere from 30-100 miles depending on how hard you drive it.

Ford02

Reaction score
I,ve put 1000 miles on it so far with no more oil level issues and the truck is starting better . I found most of the o-rings looked dry and cracked ( from heat ? ) . I,m not really sure what caused it to push oil into the fuel but I can tell you the truck ran good until the oil level got to low for the HPOP. I was 10 quarts low and there was definitley oil in the filter. I,ve seen articules in the past talking about a bad set of O-rings but I was under the impression that was an old issue that was fixed by the time my truck was built. Again ,I cant thank everyone that gave feedback .