mass oil consumpsion

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: this last week i have been using 1 gallon of oil per 400 miles ? also when going down highway at 70-75 mph i hear a loud screeching sound ,could this be due to bad turbo?it only does the noise at 70 or above is this because it is making boost ? thanks for any help. i need to figure this out asap as this is my work truck:hail

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you've answered your own questions.
pull the air duct to the turbo and check the radial and axial play(side-side and front-back)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can remove the intake hat and see if there is any oil that will rule the turbo in/out.

Also, do You use a cdr or rdt?

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: where is intake hat? dont have rdt this engine is all stock..260000.
i am new to diesel engines i just know what i have learned on this site . i praise u diesel gods :hail :hail should i buy new or send my turbo to be rebuilt?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Intake hat is what covers the intake manifold if You remove it You'll see if the turbo is pucking oil inside the manifold or maybe it is the cdr (crankcase depression regulator).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you probably have is the turbo oil seals going bad causing the oil to get into the intake. Like posted above, pull the hat and check the turbo for play and oil in the intake. If non of either is found try the CDR.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ok,Remove the plastic pipe running from the grill area to the air filter box(if it still has the pipe).Remove the nuts holding the top cover on and loosen the band clamps for the lid to turbo boot.Now remove the lid and air filter.How much oil is in the runner from the air filter lid to the turbo?Next,Remove the 2 bolts inside the filter box at the bottom.Now you can see the intake hat.It is that Silver snail shell thing.To remove it you remove the center bolt and either rotate it up so the pipe going in the turbo acts as a pivot.Now look for tons of oil and compare it to the lid.There should be the same amount of oil or less.Now,reach up to filter side of the turbo and give it a wiggle.There will be some play.Shouldn't be much.Couple thousands of a inch on a cold dry turbo is ok.But if it moves enough to touch the housing then you have real trouble and that is what you hear screaching.

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:puke: well turbo impeller has chips in it ....time for new turbo i hardly drive truck its used by crew to haul work trailer .driver said its been making noise for about a month....hes usually pretty good about telling me when he has problem with truck it still has plenty of power just drinks oil. so does anyone have used tubo for sale?? thanx for the help:D

rubberfish

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. Mine has done this before too.
Don't leave it much longer eh? If the blades are
machining the housing, the bearings are shot and
it can come completely apart costing you a TON. :eek:
You don't want it to go through the motor.
One of the guys here should be able to help
you locate a good used one. Take pics of the old
one for us eh? Destruction is always cool to see. :thumbsup: