Marvel Mystery

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used Marvel Mystery Oil in the past, mixing a few bottles to a tank of fuel. I did notice a difference in how she ran, and it was better.
However I quit using it when I found out about 2 stroke oil.
My truck absolutely loves 2 stroke oil, roughly 1 quart per tank.

My question is, anyone else ever run Marvel Mystery Oil, and if so, how much of a difference could you tell, and do you think it is as beneficial in lubricating properties as 2 stroke oil? Not to mention it's cleaning properties.?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have run it by the gallon. "Felt" absolutely no difference. I don't with 2-stroke oil either... naturally... because all it does is add lubricity to the fuel and possibly save the pump from excess wear from ULSD that might nat have been properly treated by the blender. The only product in which my well trained and well calibrated butt-dyno has "felt" anything is with cetane index improvers in fuel that was a bit lower than what the truck preferred.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a big study on the effects of various diesel fuel additives... I don't remember who did it, but it was very comprehensive. Might be somewhere on Bob is the Oil Guy

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could tell and smell a difference when running 2 stroke oil, to me the exhaust smells just like the old SD, but that's just me.

I know if you read the back of the bottle, MMO claims that during WW2 the USAAF used MMO to mix in the fuel for their fighter planes, I never did any research to verify this.

It's been awhile since I ran any, but I do remember my truck liked it as well.

But, as for myself, the best fuel additive I've found so far, is mixing about 5 gallons of JP4 or Jet A fuel to a tank of fuel, my truck LOVES it, but you have to be careful, especially when pulling a load, because she'll heat up QUICK.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's pretty much all over. Google something like "Spicer Lubricity test" and it will come up with a 2007 date and likely as a PDF you can download. May the road always be smooth for Arlen Spicer! He paid for a number of scientific tests and presented them on the web.

It's now a bit dated considering some of the products are gone and some have been updated. Still, it shows how useless the Marvel was at #17 on the list and tested WORSE than the baseline untreated fuel.

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I've used marvel for everything. Small engines to Diesel engines
i run it in the tank and in the oil. Truck always runs smoother with it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ran pure jet fuel you would wear out pumps and injectors quickly. When at evergreen they always used JetA to fuel the ground equipment, thank goodness we had lots of 2 stroke detroits, they dont care. Things with stanadyne pumps, lots of wear, quickly, there is very little lubricity in JetA. It is basically very clean, refined kerosene. I ran lots of it mixed with waste hydraulic oil in the 4x4 for years.
Works awesome in bullet heaters though.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got that right, JetA has little to no lubricating value, but mixing 75/25 , she runs good, I was always afraid of melting the valves out of her though lol

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up the Spicer lubricity form, I'll say that it is hard to believe those results.
There's a lot of stuff on there I've used before that I thought made a BIG difference in how my truck ran, now I don't know about how it added lubricity to the fuel, but I do know she ran a lot better. Especially with the 2 stroke oil.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, that test was purely about lubricity and no one has claimed otherwise. While some of this products had, or were claimed to have, some performance benefits, those aspects were not tested.

Also, you guys do realize that Arlen Spicer was just a guy with with a few buck that had Southwest Research (a big lab, google them) do the testing? He just gathered up the popular products and paid to have them tested. There was no corporate horse in the game. The good products stood out and the bad ones didn't. That test inspired several of the companies that had a poor showing to go on the defensive.

What you may think you "feel" may not equate to any real, measurable results. There are very human reactions to certain things (advertising among them) that make us think we feel something when what we feel cannot be measured quantitatively. I've been involved in testing automotive products for more than 20 years now and have seen it many times. I had to beat those things out of myself in order to be as objective as possible in evaluating the effects of products. It's commonly called the placebo effect and every human is vulnerable to it. No shame in that, but it's a fact of life. This is why I am now almost militantly skeptical when comparing people's feelings about products to actual testing where cause and effect is accurately measured.

Decades ago, in the '60s, a group of car enthusiasts were brought in to evaluate some new performance products on a Corvette without being told exactly what they were. They drove the stock car and then came back and drove the "modified" car. To a person, the people were wildly enthusiastic about the great performance increase. In fact all that was done was to install loud and fast-sounding mufflers. It was engineered so that the car gained no power or performance, it just sounded faster and a group of "car guys" were fooled by it.

I agree about not necessarily placing a high confidence in test result produce by a company on its own product. Seldom are they outright fabrications but, most often, they are "best case scenarios" where you see the best dyno run, or where everything is optimized in ideal conditions. Also, a gain or claim may not apply to your exact situation. Say a company claims, "Product X delivers a 25% benefit on a Ford IDI engine." Ok, then you find their test engine was a 155 hp 6.9L industrial engine. Well, it's an IDI but maybe you don't have a turned down, 155 hp industrial engine in your pickup. 25 percent above 155hp only brings it a little more than stock pickup rated power. When added to an IDI rated at pickup power, the gain from that product is only 5%. In other words, your result may vary. For myself, I automatically dial any result back at least 10 percent generically for companies I trust unless I know the exact scenario and how it relates to my setup. An example would be a product that processed X result on a 6.9 would produce Y on a 7.3, or an NA versus a TD.

The bottom line for me is alway the money. How much of a measurable effect am I getting for the money.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable, but my definition of "power gain" had always been, pulling x up a hill and not having to down shift to maintain a certain speed.
Not just a feeling or sound

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online