manually switching fuel tanks?

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
When I bought my 85 F250, the rear tank was full to the neck. I looked at the fuel today, and it has a yellowish tint to it. Is it okay to run the fuel or should I drain it? its about a year and a half old.

Second question, my selector switch doesn't work. Is there a way I can manually switch the tanks over? money is pretty tight and if I can go a couple weeks without having to buy fuel it would really help me out.
Thanks guys

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody may scream at me for this, but when I picked up my truck it had been sitting for five years and both tanks were full. I filled a new filter with ATF and put a whole quart bottle of lucas between both tanks. Put a small batt out of my son in laws ****** and pulled the truck off. I burned every bit of that diesel while trouble shooting the differant issues of the truck, and it burned just fine. I know it was a roll of the dice, that was a year ago and all is well with the ip. But it is your call.

I don't know how to manually switch the tanks or if you can.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well lets see now somewhere on here there is something called alge but i thought it would take months to get that but honestlyly if ur that tight get a hose long enough to go into the other tank to the bottom and try to fill it to the top of the hose and hold thumb over hose and put into other tank i mean honestly u dont wanna mess with anything cuz if you break something else i e fuel line or selector or sumthing its not quick but you will get most of ur fuel out and hell if you want lol id put some tranny fluid in there but that is me

hope this helps bud

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Put some diesel kleen in both tanks.

You can use tranny fluid, but if you get polled over and the cops dip your tank you might have some trouble.

EDIT: And as for the switch, I don't know what to tell you, my truck doesn't have a rear tank.

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a long hose, so I think I'll try and siphon it out unless someone else posts how to manually switch it. Thank you for the replies, I'll get some diesel kleen tomorrow

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an aux bed tank that had 100gallons of 10yr old #2 in it. The IDI liked it just fine, it had a strange yellow/brown tinge to it but all was well.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
diesel looks different in all kinds of light sometimes blue sometime yellow. I would just head over to filterbarn.com and pick up some spare filters and not worry about it

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, money is tight and selector does not work.

Crawl under the truck with hose-cutters in hand, along with a foot of 3/8 and a foot of 5/16 rubber fuel-line, plus eight clamps.

Cut the plastic lines at the selector; ONLY the ones that go to the engine and whichever tank you wish to draw the fuel from.

The Union-BLUE lines should be the 3/8 DRAW lines.

The Confederate-GREY lines should be the 5/16 RETURN lines.

Splice the appropriate lines together with the rubber hose, using TWO clamps at each end.

Do not over-tighten the clamps and kink the plastic.

Many is the Ford truck that has ran thus for years and years.

After the next election, when money is flowing once again, install a proper set of MANUAL tank-selector valves.

You can splice the fuel-gauge wires likewise and be able to read the fuel level in the one tank.

Burn that fuel; there is most likely nothing at all wrong with it.

Diesels are much more forgiving about what one runs through them, providing it is plenty clean; that is the filter's job. ;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
well lets see now somewhere on here there is something called alge but i thought it would take months to get that but honestlyly if ur that tight get a hose long enough to go into the other tank to the bottom and try to fill it to the top of the hose and hold thumb over hose and put into other tank i mean honestly u dont wanna mess with anything cuz if you break something else i e fuel line or selector or sumthing its not quick but you will get most of ur fuel out and hell if you want lol id put some tranny fluid in there but that is me

hope this helps bud

PLEASE, put some periods,commas,,dashes,,whatever between your words,,to make a sentence------the above is damn hard to read--

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked out great, There was some junk in the bottom of the tank so that couple gallons will go to the burn barrel jug, but past that the truck is running great ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:thumbsup:Just run the tires and fuel out of it and mostly enjoy the rig... They take a lot of kicking but continue to run forever like a dodge....:eek::angel: