Manual glow plugs. Opinions and ideas.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Quote You guys have way too much free time. Maybe you should get married- or maybe that's the reason you guys are in the garage so much![/QUOTE]

Now why would you ever give someone that advise? I rather pound my balls flat with a hammer. At least I would still have them. lol

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to what to do when it doesn't work as intended, and you are stranded somewhere without a block heater? Simple. Get out a pair of jumper cables, and use just one of the clamps to short together the two big poles on the contactor to manually energize the glow plugs that still remain operational. Want to avoid warm start glow plug operation? Find an ambient air thermostat like you would use on a furnace, and route the power feed or ground wire to the GPC through it. As long as the thermostat is warm, the glow plugs won't come on.
This is simple enough for the turbo folks with the GPC hanging off the valve cover, however you know how easy it is to access it on a n/a truck. Not only does jumping the contactor terminals with a jumper cable get a bit dicey there (gotta make sure the other end cannot touch anything metal, a leather or winter glove actually works pretty good for that), but there is also the time it takes for the person jumping the contactor to get off the engine and run into the cab (or jump the starter relay on the fender) to start the engine - that allows plugs to cool down and when you're not running on all 8 to begin with it could require multiple jump-glow cycles to get the ice-cold engine fired up. And if you have a helper to hit the start the moment you're done with the plugs, you're now sitting on top of a running engine racing at high idle with that B17-propeller-sized fan ready to chop down any appendages you may feed its way - not a very safe situation considering when people get cold they also tend to move a bit more awkward...

As for the air thermostat, I think the cold-advance sensor would be more suitable - air temperature in the intake of a shut off engine can be a dicey thing, and it's the coolant (well, engine block) temperature that makes it easy or hard to get combustion going. So the solution, at least mine and one more person's on here, was to cut key-on power to the controller from the harness, and instead feed it thru the cold-advance temp sensor by tapping off the fast-idle or cold-advance solenoid wires.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not advocating removal of the factory system in favor of full manual switch just for the heck of it. A 3-position switch would be much better - manual glow on one end, system full off in the middle, and full-auto on the other end. Then you can have you cake and eat it too - if you drop a few plugs for whatever reason you can use the manual position to get her fired up, and if the controller hangs up like ours did you can still shut it off without affecting anything else on the truck (and technically you can still fire up the truck since the plugs were just active). No climbing in the engine bay on top of fast-moving potential meat-tenderizers, and everything is at the fingertips of just one person.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The early 6.2 had a temp switch to disable the plugs over 125 deg, I have used those wired to cut power to the controller over the 125, and they work great. The problem is finding a new one that actually functions. The new ones that I have tried to use dont have a switch in them. After getting a couple in a row that wouldnt open, ever, I cut one apart and found no switch, but the terminals were connected internaly.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote You guys have way too much free time. Maybe you should get married- or maybe that's the reason you guys are in the garage so much!

Now why would you ever give someone that advise? I rather pound my balls flat with a hammer. At least I would still have them. lol[/QUOTE]

It was a joke --everybody has time to work on their truck but me. And I'm married and still manage to have my balls.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is simple enough for the turbo folks with the GPC hanging off the valve cover, however you know how easy it is to access it on a n/a truck. Not only does jumping the contactor terminals with a jumper cable get a bit dicey there (gotta make sure the other end cannot touch anything metal, a leather or winter glove actually works pretty good for that), but there is also the time it takes for the person jumping the contactor to get off the engine and run into the cab (or jump the starter relay on the fender) to start the engine....

I've run into that as well, and when that is the case, connect one jumper cable clamp to each contactor lug and then use the two clamps at the other end of the cable as your on-off switch while you stand conveniently by the key to start it. I never said it wasn't inconvenient. Technically, you would hope to only do this once as your next stop is home with a 10mm deep socket and a fresh set of glow plugs. :)

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow up for those interested.

Finally got my new plugs. I mounted a 9th plug on my dash, and love it. typically takes 9 seconds to turn it red. But on subsequent start attempts, depending on how long you pause, 3 seconds or so is plenty. Really like the ability to see what I'm doing!

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plug cycle when warm is annoying.

I usually try to plan it so my truck does not get turned off until I know I wont be starting it again for quite a while. Some will chide me that extensive idling is not good, maybe so, but I prefer it over repeated warm restarts. Besides, I like the sound of my truck running.

Biggest problem is parking it so it don't roll as I do not use the E-brake in the winter. A couple days ago I stopped at the local market and jumped out of my truck. To my horror it started rolling on me so I ran to it and jumped in to stop it. A guy in the store was watching and congratulated me on a nice save. What we both did not know yet is that in the process I accidentally hit the lock button and locked myself out. Has happened to me several times, once courtesy of my kid (needed the local FD to get out of that one), once with a friend, etc. so now I leave myself an out-- crawling through the rear window-- only works if the cap is not locked.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
You need one of these.

Attachments

• k2-_9aae2868-063e-42d2-9e0c-b00916f3fa32.v2.jpg
    k2-_9aae2868-063e-42d2-9e0c-b00916f3fa32.v2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 39

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a basic no frills mount. still thinking about what I want for a more permanent solution.

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attachments don't work when using REPLY, go to Advanced then scroll down to Manage Attachments.

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more try.

Attachments

• 2015-03-14 18.08.26.jpg
    2015-03-14 18.08.26.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 32

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's rather interesting! I think it would be great to see the progress of the heating of the plugs. But with my luck and how things have been going I'd end up with a BRAND mark on my forehead, or at best hand.

Not that I'm THAT clumsy, but weird things have the tendency to happen to me.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually try to plan it so my truck does not get turned off until I know I wont be starting it again for quite a while. Some will chide me that extensive idling is not good, maybe so, but I prefer it over repeated warm restarts. Besides, I like the sound of my truck running.

Biggest problem is parking it so it don't roll as I do not use the E-brake in the winter. A couple days ago I stopped at the local market and jumped out of my truck. To my horror it started rolling on me so I ran to it and jumped in to stop it. A guy in the store was watching and congratulated me on a nice save. What we both did not know yet is that in the process I accidentally hit the lock button and locked myself out. Has happened to me several times, once courtesy of my kid (needed the local FD to get out of that one), once with a friend, etc. so now I leave myself an out-- crawling through the rear window-- only works if the cap is not locked.

Carry two sets of keys. One in the truck, one on your person. Been meaning to do this myself for years but never have for some reason. Maybe I should start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk