Manual glow plug cycle?

Joshua Hess

Reaction score
So I have switched the glow plug relay to a push button system and am wondering what the typical starting procedure is for the easiest start on these trucks in regards to the glow plugs.

Currently I am holding them on for about 10 seconds and then crank for 7 seconds or so and hit the plugs again. It will typically fire up the first try if it was started within the last 24 hours and on the second try if it has been sitting a week or so.

With the colder weather coming on though, thought I would check and see if there is a better procedure. And I don't want to be doing something that will be burning the plugs out either.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck:

Over 70°F: A few seconds glow (above 80 it will start in about 1 second of cranking on its own without them)
40-70: 5-7 seconds
20-30: 7-8 seconds
Below 20: 10 seconds

If sitting for long times makes it harder to start, its probably time to assess the fuel system to see where you have a air intrusion/loosing prime problem. This will really help you out with your much colder temps. Also, plug it in if you can below freezing, makes a world of difference starting and it warms up much faster (obviously).

Joshua Hess

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I did replace the return lines already and that definitely seemed to help but I think there might be some air getting in at the fuel filter. At least I have something to go off of now.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also depends on your type of glow plug, some run hotter. Sound advice for motorcraft beru.

TMI but If you use Bosch or wellman, the time is reduced. Even my **** tired prior engine would light up quick on Bosch, but too much time would kill them cause they get HOT. There was little chance with the berus because the compression was bad. The beru are designed to take a beating from the three decade old++ controllers, by running cooler I'm guessing. Would be neat to chart them side by side over time...

You shouldn't have to ever glow twice unless it's damn cold out. I can hop out after mine sits 3 weeks and light it off with berus. You either have plugs out, bad plug wiring, bad compression, or a fuel leak. Getting the fuel fixed up is a pain in the ass on these ********, an electric lift pump will alleviate a lot of your issues as a bandaid if that's what is going on.

I've heard of fuel leaks from the lift pump, return lines especially the tee by the driver front area at back of engine, leaks at the selector valve if you have dual tanks, or fuel leaking back into the tanks - I dont know if the stock system had check valves or not...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I glow mine several short cycles between cranking episodes. I think it is easier on the plugs than glowing them one long pronounced time. And with a manual button, you would know it if some the plugs were bad. It will start, but it miss-fires like crazy and there is a lot of smoke. After it runs a couple of seconds the miss-firing cylinders will clear up and it smooths out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online