LUND visors

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Do You have a SCab, Crew? Rack?

I know My Rack causes enough wind turbulence on that huge piece of sheet metal We call a roof, to get it vibrating like mad. It's almost unbearable at times. I'm actually hoping the Moon Visor will help!

Shoot me a pic of the rack, I may have a simple fix for that but I want to see a pic first.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Make sure you seal up the holes real good. In the middle on the roof where the visor is bolted, it rusted out and now everytime it rains, water drips in the cab.

Never again will I put a damn visor. Plus you loose so much MPG!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do You have a SCab, Crew? Rack?

I know My Rack causes enough wind turbulence on that huge piece of sheet metal We call a roof, to get it vibrating like mad. It's almost unbearable at times. I'm actually hoping the Moon Visor will help!
I have a regular cab and no rack. I haven't noticed the noise since I put my big bed cap on tho, maybe that changed airflow enough to cancel the noise-producing currents around the cab? Heck if I know...

The last two OBS trucks I've owned have had Lund visors on them, and the only time they made any noise, was when I had a bug shield/deflector on the hood. Took the deflectors off and all noise went away, and my mirrors quit shaking at high speeds.
I do have a big bug shield up front. I ain't taking that off tho, cause then I'll have to go buy a new hood (mine is messed up in one corner, the plastic piece hides it) and I really do not like how the truck looks without it anyways. My mirrors do not vibrate tho, but I moved them 8" forward so I don't have to turn my head as much to see in them (great if you only have one good eye), so probably them being so close to the door edge stiffens the whole setup and don't allow the door skin to vibrate as much.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How much MPG is lost, three-MPG, five-MPG ?? :dunno

My mirrors do not vibrate tho, but I moved them 8" forward so I don't have to turn my head as much to see in them

Probably twenty years ago, I moved my mirrors as far forward as the door would allow; that one little improvement made my whole truck fifty-times more enjoyable to drive. :thumbsup:

No more do I have to lean way back to see in the mirrors; I merely shift my eyeballs and there is the mirror. right where I need it to be. :thumbsup:

After a while, I sort of begin to take it for granted; but, all it takes is a short trip in someone else's truck and I immediately want back in mine. ;Sweet

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Shoot me a pic of the rack, I may have a simple fix for that but I want to see a pic first.

I'll see if I Have any pix. But it's a Weather Guard Rack. Rated to 1800 lbs. It does have square horizontal tubes. Been thinking of fabing a round tube for the front cross bar.
Weather Guard offers a sort of spoiler for Scab/Crew trucks($125)
S'posed to stop the road hum. But it seems to Me that it'd put a lot of drag on the truck when the rack is loaded.

You must be registered for see images

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a while, I sort of begin to take it for granted; but, all it takes is a short trip in someone else's truck and I immediately want back in mine. ;Sweet
Hell, I can't even drive anyone else's truck no more (unless it'a a bricknose), I can't judge their dimensions quite properly - even with mine I sometimes rely on the front bumper locators on the sides to keep me from scraping jersey barriers in bad weather, which of course I've never done but still...

Loose a couple MPG's 2-3 i've lost.

And vibrates like hell when it's really windy on the highway.
so my truck is then capable of 22-23 mpg? Nope, don't think so LOL Oh, and slow down man, if your visor vibrates that bad you're going way too fast ;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Cool, you just need a small spoiler for the center of the front bar. Take a piece of flat steel about 2' long by x4" wide, bolt it on the top of the front bar so it is centered, and angle the front of it down so the air will flow up and over the bar. That's it, simple enough hu,..?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Hell, I can't even drive anyone else's truck no more (unless it'a a bricknose), I can't judge their dimensions quite properly - even with mine I sometimes rely on the front bumper locators on the sides to keep me from scraping jersey barriers in bad weather, which of course I've never done but still...

so my truck is then capable of 22-23 mpg? Nope, don't think so LOL Oh, and slow down man, if your visor vibrates that bad you're going way too fast ;Sweet

Going to fast? :rotflmao truck tops out at 75....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to fast? :rotflmao truck tops out at 75....

Only 75? What do you redline at? I hit the governor at 3800 rpms and if I decide to ride it she'll wind out the speedometer to here the needle is pointing straight down. That said, I usually cruise at half that speed, which is 55 mph. So yes, slow down, drive with the big trucks too as they keep at around 60 most of the time.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Mine doesn't go past 3400RPM, not even redline, it's hardlly getting on the yellow line. lol

I've never touched the IP, it's factory setting.

I rarelly go over 60 anyways. @ 60 i'm turning @ 2100RPM and that's a good RPM range for me. I like cruising at that.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tach isnt working right at the moment, but with 4:10's, the zf5 a leaking IP and 305/70's I can wrap the speedometer around past 85 without really trying. I usually cruise at 75, it seems to quite down at that speed.

I have a visor that I plan to put on, just havent had the time to actually do it.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you seal up the holes real good. In the middle on the roof where the visor is bolted, it rusted out and now everytime it rains, water drips in the cab.

I suppose you lost a slight amount of MPG, but I think it's worth it for the cool look of a visor;Really

A properly installed visor will not leak. Back in '79 my Dad put one on his '77 Chevy K10. Never did leak, or cause cab roof to rust. We finally junked the truck last fall because the cab was falling off:eek: (road salt really got to the old girl) I'm thinking of putting the visor on my '87 GMC sometime.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I noticed my visor vibrates a tad at high speed when there are nasty crosswinds, otherwise it never moves. No mpg loss, but the cool factor went up. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online