LUK solid flywheel identification

discbrks

Reaction score
A few years back I bought a flywheel off eBay. It was advertised as a LUK solid mass unit for a 7.3 IDI. In the coming months, I'll start my 5-speed swap, but I need to i.d. the flywheel. Are there are any markings or part numbers on them to help me? Right now the flywheel is in storage, but maybe I can get to it this weekend.

discbrks

Reaction score
It does have LUK on the back, but I wanted to make sure that it IS for an IDI. Are there no part numbers? What should the diameter be?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I beleive the IDI is 12" and the PSD is 13" either way its an inch bigger clutch then stock but I have no idea how to tell if its for the NA or factory turbo cause they are balanced different

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
luk and valeo sells it as the same package for 6.9, 7.3, turbo or not.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discbrks; You are absolutely correct in chasing down the correct flywheel. The FACTORY
7.3 turbo engine requires a different balance than the 6.9/7.3 NA engines. Been there and done it. I'm running a South Bend setup on my Factory 7.3 turbo engine. It has a different part # than the NA engines. Sometimes this fact has to be brought to the attention of the sales person, most of the time they are dealing with 6.9/7.3s that were NA and have been turboed.

I forgot to write the flywheel # down for future reference otherwise I'd post it and the manufacture's name.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
luk and valeo sells it as the same package for 6.9, 7.3, turbo or not.

not if its factory turbo when I ordered mine they called me before they sent it to make sure I wanted the factory turbo clutch he said the balancing was different

discbrks

Reaction score
I got some info...
on the back of the flywheel is stamped:
Automotive Systems 1-800-274-5001
LUK
1 204 903 02
GG-25

I have pictures, but I'm having technical delima's with my computer at home right now.

So you say that a factory turbo flywheel is different? Well, I have no idea if the flywheel that I have is turbo application or not. But I do have a complete parts truck that is a '93 factory turbo that I'm pulling the trans. from - but you're saying that the '93 flywheel won't work?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I don't know if it will bolt on or not but the factory turbo motors had a different balance so it would be a bad idea to use it on a NA I would just call LUK and make sure or I think I used carolina clutch they were a sponsor long ago over at TDS and like I said they were nice and knowledgeable I placed my order online and they called me the next day to double check that it was for a factory turbo motor before they sent me the wrong one

discbrks

Reaction score
I talked with a guy named Dan at Automotive Systems (1-800-274-5001)... VERY helpful guy. According to him, the balance is different between FACTORY turbo & non-turbo. The number cast onto the back of the flywheel (1 204 902 02) is for a factory non-turbo application. So it looks like my $20.00 eBay flywheel worked out! Any idea what the thread size is for the pressure plate bolts? I wanna run a tap thru them and get it resurfaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online