lower temp fan clutch

JEEPSPEEDPULER

Reaction score
anybody know of any lower temp fan clutches im looking for one because of my towing temp. my truck never over heats but man does she get hot! thanks for any info

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
MSTECH makes the oem clutch lock up at 210 degrees. Some of the oem clutches lock up around 240 degrees...:eek: Not good either. So if you buy from them your getting a modified oem clutch... Thats a good thing too. I have been running them for years. I can actually pull a grade and watch my Isspro gauge start to react to the grade. Then the fan locks up and the temp drops as I'm climbing the grade... Kinda neet to watch too....

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Some guys here have locked their fan clutches permanently. not saying I recommend it but it can be done.

JEEPSPEEDPULER

Reaction score
yea i know i have heard about the permanent lock up idea but it just doesnt sound like a very good idea let alone the power loss just it just doesnt need to be on all the time like that... and ICANFIXALL where can i find these clutches i remember you telling us about that when you met up with me and my friend with the return fuel lines thanks again for those! seems to be leak free (minus the oil) again!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Post number two by 87crewdually has the wbe site and phone number for the fan clutch posted above. The shop is in Lebanon New York as I recall. Glad your return lines are dry. When they leak fuel it really makes a mess on the motors and the parking spaces. Then the starter takes a big hit cranking longer with the batteries getting over worked. So having a tight return line system is a good thing to have...:sly

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed the guys at MS Tech about their fan clutches. Too much money for me. I think I'm gonna drill a hole and weld her up like Brianedwardss did.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bike maker... All you need to do to lock up the fan is twist the slotted key in the front of the fan. Just remove the spring and twist closed the key. I don't recall which way you turn it but you only have two directions to turn it. Post back what you find out or someone else may post which direction it is.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's Counter Clock Wise to lock it. Hold a butane lighter under the spring for about 30 seconds and the spring should expand turning the slotted key CCW. The way I remember it is Cold = Clockwise, Counter Cold is Counter Clock Wise. I could be wrong though so it's best to check it with some heat and then cold on the spring.
I just put an unknown used Fan Clutch on my fresh build and it didn't seem to be working. I pulled it off, dug the spring out of the RTV and straightened the bend and re-bent it about 1/8" longer but it didn't seem to make any difference, so maybe my clutch is toast. I'll be carrying my old fan clutch for a spare just in case.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Heath, I just dug through my email and it looks like I deleted the one from the guy at MS Tech, and I don't rememner the exact price. But it was somewhere in the range of $400.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Heath, I just dug through my email and it looks like I deleted the one from the guy at MS Tech, and I don't rememner the exact price. But it was somewhere in the range of $400.

:eek:Dang they are proud of that thing aren't they!:eek:

Heath

JEEPSPEEDPULER

Reaction score

thats insane!! i just couldnt see my self paying that either i might have to look into locking it up on the front of the fan how hard is it to do could you lock it while you are towing only and unlock it you are done or is it even worth the hassel?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of clocking the spring on a good fan clutch. As soon as I get things ironed on this engine out I'm going to do some trial and error research on this issue. in the five years I've been running an IDI I have never heard my fan clutch kick in yet, so it's kinda touch and go for me. I guess I need to go max and then back off from there, but right now it's a fresh engine that wasn't budgeted either in time or $ and work for it has backed up. I am now several $kilo and months behind the curve and scrambling to catch up. Somewhere I have a spare clutch that I can "play" with to get this figured out. It seems so simple. I wish I had a "known good" clutch as a baseline but that and a quarter.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online