lower temp fan clutch

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

i did this:sly:sly

welded it fast to the nut so i can still get a wrench on the nut. my friend who is a mechanic has a handy tool from off the truck that goes into his air hammer to put them on and off. so nope...mine aint commin off lol.

those tabs are 3/16" material.

Not a good idea...think about when that diesel comes to a instant stop at shut-down ;Really

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I groundm a slot in mine and reclocked the spring, 1/4 inch counterclockwise, glued it back down with windshield urethane, works awesome. MS tech is going the way of DPS on service I have been told. No one wants to support IDI'S anymore.
Hmmmm, interesting >how much earlier would you say it comes in at?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Not a good idea...think about when that diesel comes to a instant stop at shut-down ;Really

My thoughts exactly. What are the torque specs for thaT NUT, UP TO 165 ft lbs and that's for a fan that is spinning freely to hold it on. I sincerly doubt that the air hammer tool would put that kind of torque onto the thing. It had better have red loctite on it and screw the water pump they;re coming off as a pair next time. That's just playing with fire locking it up like that

The ms tech jobs may be expensive, but it's a proven thing that works, heck last weekend dragging my 32ft enclosed gooseneck carhauler around loaded down with a stage full of sound equipment around south Arkansas in 100 deg heat in insane humidity on squirrily back roads with both ACs running full tilt my temp gauge actually got up to 190 deg :rotflmao
That's with an MStech fan clutch , rodney red radiator and Evans coolant, I'm also running a double air conditioner system with a custom rear air on my crew cab with a parallel flow condenser

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

i did this:sly:sly

welded it fast to the nut so i can still get a wrench on the nut. my friend who is a mechanic has a handy tool from off the truck that goes into his air hammer to put them on and off. so nope...mine aint commin off lol.

those tabs are 3/16" material.

:thumbsup: I got all excited when I saw this picture, as that is a lot better way of locking the clutch than my way of pinning; then, I remembered that on all of our Cummins engines, one must remove the fan from the clutch and take them out in separate pieces, as in no way can the fan/clutch assembly come out of there together. :rolleyes:

A Cummins slams to a shuddering halt when shut down, far more violently than any IDI; yet, in all the years I have been running locked clutches on several trucks, I have never yet had one offer to spin loose.

I am not saying that it can't happen, just that I have never experienced it.

Furthermore, I keep the clutch nut/stud well slathered with anti-sieze.

I always have to get after the clutch nut pretty hard to get it to budge when taking one off, even if it was just installed a day before. :)

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i did what i did so if i ever want to go back to a regular clutch fan i can just unbolt it and cut off the tabs and my fan is unharmed...

not everyone has $1000 to dump into the cooling system alone RLDSL. I have no doubt what you did are probably the best products on the market...just sayin..

i dont doubt that the hammer tool will hold it just fine. the tool has a knuckle on it sort of so its hammering with the wrench 90º to the air hammer and 4"-6" away from the nut. so the force is being applied in the proper direction not directly in line with the tool and nut.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A hammer wrench will intorduce you to the fun of replacing a water pump sooner than you think. Any bearing hammering will ruin a bearing and race... But if you get away with doing it then thats great. I personally wont hammer on any bearing. I have seen the damage it does...

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
A hammer wrench will intorduce you to the fun of replacing a water pump sooner than you think. Any bearing hammering will ruin a bearing and race... But if you get away with doing it then thats great. I personally wont hammer on any bearing. I have seen the damage it does...

I thought I was being smart spinning a gas engine generator with impact wrench to start it. We always started our race engines on go karts with hand held starter motors. Worked great on them!

It worked great for awhile... then the crankshaft end broke off. $65 to replace crankshaft.

I's a dummy!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online