Low Oil Pressure?

BrianW

Reaction score
Gents,

I've noticed on my oil pressure gauge, the needle hovers around the 'n' in 'normal' or even a bit lower at times. That would be on the low side of the range displayed on the gauge.

It's due for a change, but the oil level is good.

Any thoughts?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
factory gauges aren't accurate. if you have doubts, install a mechanical gauge to get a baseline reading.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Yeah BrianW, and till you get used to low pressure reading '# these IDI's #'s will scare you.
And Ford factory gauges should be outlawed I think.
Sometimes you can wiggle the connector on the sending unit & your reading will show a higher gauge "letter"...or wait till you hit another bump in the road & your pressure reading will change....
I got my Factory gauge & a mechanical guage

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The gauge from the factory is hooked to a pressure switch not sender, it turns on at 7psi so it deflect the needle the same amount when you have 50 psi or 7 psi. This is why I call them moving idiot lights because they are nothing more than than. As long as the gauge comes up and the light isn't on then you're good to go.

I used to think I had to have a real gauge - even went so far as to purchase and install an ISSPRO high dollar unit and what I found was that I didn't pay much attention to it at all because if I'm over 7psi then I know things are getting lubed so what's the point.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course if you get a real gauge, get one that maxes out around 50 PSI, and if possible has good resolution at the low end. Your hot idle presure will scare you. My 0 to 60 gauge basically hovers just above 0 when idling. Since the factory gauge is still hooked up and the needle is on the N, I know it's always been that way.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't feel so bad, the International gets down to about 15 psi at idle... (It has a factory gauge with actual NUMBERS on it). No temp gauge though, just an idiot light.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my sender out and cleaned it with some brake clean. Oil pressure went from zero at idle, to 2/3rds the way up. Went from 1/3rd up at cruise speeds, to 3/4!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online