Low oil pressure update....

Jamie

Reaction score
So my oil pressure issues have escalated. Earlier this week I posted on some erratic readouts on my OEM oil pressure gauge..... I hoped that they were a result of a compromise in the wiring system. Anyway, earlier today my gauge read zero absolute zero for about thirty seconds before I caught it. I turned it over too see if it had seized. It looks like I caught it early enough, it spun over but was dragging very heavily. Temperature was normal. My question is this, what are the symptoms of a failing oil pump? And nextly, what is the procedure in changing it out? I will be doing and R & R regardless of diagnosis at this point.

Any thoughts?

Jamie

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If in fact it is the pump and not the sending unit gone TU, You'll have to get a cherry picker and lift the engine enough to remove the pan.( some say it's easier to remove the engine... probably is) there are three bolts holding the oil pump at the front of the block, and one nut holding it to a stud on one of the main bolts halfway back the block so try to get a visual on how much clearance you'd need to get in there to wrangle all that with the engine still under the hood ( and you'd want to have that thing blocked up real secure somehow before sticking your arm in between the pan and the block so we don't have to start calling you stubby :eek: ).

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should probably pull the engine if in fact you determine the oil pump is failing. Did your check engine light come on? It should if truly the oil pressure is very low or absent. The factory pressure sender is an on/of pressure switch that shows 0 and trips the check engine light if at any time the oil pressure goes below 7psi. I'd hate to condemn the engine without a mechanical reading of <7 at 2000RPM hot but then again I wouldn't want to tell you its fine when in truth its getting ready to seize up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Easy way to check is go to mc parts and pickup a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge and just quick rig the thing to see what your oil pressure really is before resorting to surgery.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would be a good place to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge? Like, if it was a 350 Chevy the easiest place is right at the end of the main galley (above the timing cover) as the port is already there and only needs a screw-in plug removed, do our engines have a similar convenient location?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If your depending on the factory guage to determine accurate oil pressure. Good luck.

Buy a good aftermarket guage, and check the oil level

In 6 years of reading IDI forums, I've never heard of a failed oil pump.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where would be a good place to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge? Like, if it was a 350 Chevy the easiest place is right at the end of the main galley (above the timing cover) as the port is already there and only needs a screw-in plug removed, do our engines have a similar convenient location?

You can just run a T fitting where the factory sender sits at the back of the block if you want to keep it in there.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Also You can add a mod that'll read oil pressure in real time. The write up is here, somewhere.
All's you need is a 400 cid sender, and a little solder in the right place on the dashboard circuit

Jamie

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Hopefully my diagnosis is premature. At no point did a check engine light come on. What else could cause the engine to "drag" when turning over? Is this all a coincidence and maybe my starter is on the way out?

I will head to work today and grab a mechanical gauge. I gotta start somewhere.....

I shall keep you posted.

Jamie

Reaction score
Are there any other telltale signs that I can look for in an attempt to confirm or deny my worst fears? Also, would you recommend suing an additive when I add new oil today? Maybe Lucas Oil stabilizer?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that an IDI oil pump can fail, man made it and its mechanical, but I've yet to hear of it. Usually if you had a genuine oil pressure problem it would be either a stuck pressure relief valve or worn rod bearings.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Are there any other telltale signs that I can look for in an attempt to confirm or deny my worst fears? Also, would you recommend suing an additive when I add new oil today? Maybe Lucas Oil stabilizer?

I wouldn't add any motor honey or change any variables until you know for sure what the oil pressure is.
Get that done first.

Jamie

Reaction score
Update....

I borrowed a mechanical pressure tester from a friend today. Great news!! Pressure was maintaind at 50+ PSI. Thanks so much for the help guys. I will be installing a permanent guage on the dash tonite.

Thanks again,

Jamie

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good for you.... Sure beats pulling the motor for no good reason. Now the slow spin on the restart you posted about could be the starter or batteries or cables... But at least you have a motor now....;Sweet