Lost oil pressure

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lost oil pressure comming home from work. I can see oil pumping out of a hose just below the steering pump. What part of the oil system is this hose? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Doug

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any engine oil lines in that location, the oil cooler is nearby though. Can you be more specific? Picture maybe?

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. The line is looping below the front of the oil cooler. I haven't found the other end yet. I will get some pictures tomorrow when I pull it off. I got 10 miles before I pumped out all the oil. Got lucky this time.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. The line is looping down and then goes up past the steering pump. I don't know where the other end is yet. I will be pulling it off tomorrow. Will try to get some pictures. My engine manual does not show an oil system schematic, so I don't know what part of the oil system this is.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally there isn't any external oil lines on on the non turbo 7.3L engines and the oil cooler is completely self contained inside the engine. I wonder if there is an auxiliary oil cooler or remote mount filter that has been added on.

Hard to say without seeing it so I'm just guessing.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your describing the power steering oil cooler. It's just a bit of hard line running around on the front of the crossmember. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing as Mel but... Without pics its hard to say from the west coast. You really need to supply more info like the oil level in the motor has dropped or the power steering fluid is pouring out or the tran fluid is leaking out. check these levels and post back. You may have an easy fix.... Or a hard fix....:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MAybe the oil cooler is blowing the oil onto the power steering hose.?????

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is definitly an engine oil line. Engine oil pressure went to zero and no oil in engine. lost three gallons of oil in ten miles. As soon as there is enough daylight here, I will be pulling the hose. It is a rubber hose.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I have plenty of light to see, that "hose" is the ground wire and the oil is comming out of the front oil seal on the oil cooler and running down the wire. Thanks for the input guys. Now the fun part, as it is almost 100% humidity down here. Any tricks to reassembling the cooler?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. Lots of them, but I haven't done it myself yet, so do a search. Lots of posts out there on how to go about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online