Loss of power during acceleration

8lugchug

Reaction score
Have a 1990 f250 7.3 idi zf5 4x4
Just installed a new injection pump
Got everything hooked back up lined up etc
Now it bogs around 1500 to 2000 rpms
After around 2300 it will pick up and smooth out some but still not as much power any help is appreciated thanks

8lugchug

Reaction score
Pump was purchased at advance ( not by me ) but no I have not properly timed it yet . That’s my next step just curious if there’s something I’m missing other than the timing that could be check till I can find someone with the equipment around to do so

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah parts store pumps are hit and miss. They aren’t calibrated carefully like the high quality rebuilders do so that maybe how that pumps gonna run but you also can’t be sure on that until it’s timed properly

8lugchug

Reaction score
Yea the pump I had on it ran flawless just leaked from the inlet area . Not sure what it’s called ( in between all the lines ) on the injection pump.
Update so I advance the pump a little, runs alot better but either way I still have long hot cranks .. maybe the timing is causing this not sure .. acts as if one is going out and I mean long cranks even turning off and right back on no start I’d rather just deal with the diesel fuel leak on the old pump

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot start is a worn out head and rotor out of spec.

Parts stores don’t rebuild pumps they reseal them.

8lugchug

Reaction score
Yea what I was thinking.. I still have the pump that came out like I said it just leaked fuel in the valley
A drip here and there, fired right up and ran like a brand new one ... should I send that one out ?

8lugchug

Reaction score
Could I fix the leak issue on my old pump
I had a spare laying around as a core so I kept the one that come off the truck like I said it ran perfect just leaked fuel a little from the inlet side ( I’d have to show a pic of where it was )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send it to Wes, in the long run its money well spent. Wes is a straight shooter and I can recommend him anytiime.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the old one ran so well, just leaked a bit, I'd be tempted to just put it back on, and try to return the one from autozone.

If the 'new' one is running so badly, it is possible that you are wasting more fuel just driving down the road, than you were losing to the leak.

What did you do to try to fix the leak, before you decided to replace the IP?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the 'olives' on that leaking feed line if you have not. Does not have compression fittings on it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could I fix the leak issue on my old pump
I had a spare laying around as a core so I kept the one that come off the truck like I said it ran perfect just leaked fuel a little from the inlet side ( I’d have to show a pic of where it was )

Can you take a picture of where it is leaking? If its the inlet fitting, you just need an o ring or an olive seal depending on where its coming from.

8lugchug

Reaction score
Sorry guys for the late response
I’ll see if I can get a pic of the leak it’s def not coming from the olives
Seems to be coming from this spot here I’ve cleaned the area and fired up. Only spot I can see leaking
You must be registered for see images attach

8lugchug

Reaction score
Best I could do right now since I’m at work
Yea truck ran really well. I let it sit for about a week and she fired right up. I can barely tap the key after glow plug light goes off. Even without the throttle she would never hesitate .. now this crap [emoji43]
Sorry for so many ?s but what would a bad lift pump cause .. or symptoms should I say