looking to buy a PS with 350+

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
I'm working on a deal for a 02 powerstroke with over 350xxx miles. the guy tells me it won't start unless plugged in, even on a nice day. after searching I'm finding that glow plugs, glow plug relay, or batteries (and or cables/ground) could be my main problem here, BUT.... what else could it be if it's not these...

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it starts cold but not warm it's the injector pump. Had it happen to me last year

FordGuy100

Reaction score
On a good day they should start up with a little cranking, much like an IDI without glowplugs...correct?

My guess is with that many miles, compression is down, which is making it harder to start. Glow plugs might be fine, low compression might be causing it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well there is no injection pump on them, its a HPOP (high pressure oil pump) that fires the injectors.

Seems to me that the glow plug system would be the culprit here. Of course it could be low compression but not to jump right to this conclusion. Its hard to test on strokes from what I know. But confirm that the glows are working then move on to compression and fuel and so on. How does it run once running? The 02 is a great motor!!!

Don't let the 350,000miles scare you if it has been well maintained and not abused. If its been abused and not maintained....run away from it before it starts grabbing money from your wallet.

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
well psd runn off an HPOP (high pressure oil pump) which the high pressure oil runs the injectors, if it dont have enough oil it wont pop the injectors, yes the GP's could be bad or the controller and you also have the IDM (injector drive modual) also could have a wiring harness problem under the valve covers to the injectors

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 02 isn't the good one.sometime in 02they went from forged rods to pmrs (powdered metal rods).same reliability as the others but no good for performance.

The psd doesn't like cold starts in any weather without glow plugs.pull the oil fill cap and sniff inside the valve cover.see if you can smell burnt wiring.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that kind of miles your probibly looking at injectors and a IPR. I had one like that with high miles, new gp's and sol didnt do much for it. The guy didnt want to put any more money in it until a year later when the IPR failed.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta ask: when was the oil changed last? Its pretty important on a PSD.

With those miles, I'd definitely look at a compression check. If all the cylinders test good, its should be very "fixable".

Good luck to you.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The GP system consists of the GP relay. The plugs going INTO the valve cover gasket(known to burn) the Valve cover gasket its self(current passes thru them). The UVCH(under valve cover harness) and the GP them selves. Any or all of which could be bad. Just to warn you this stuff van be expensive and you ONLY want FORD or IH parts.
Here is an AFTERMARKET kit for an idea http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Powe...Accessories&hash=item33653c5519#ht_1568wt_941
But ford or IH will be more expensive

If it is starting with being pluged in, I would take low compression off the table. I would also take a bad IPR and bad High Pressure Oil Pump(HPOP) off the table

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 02 dosent have a glow plug relay. It has a controller on the driver fender that turns the glow plugs on and off.

I would start with a compression test. Like said before, if thats ok its very fixable. If not, RUN! Mine will start fine w/o glow plugs if it is above 40*F so you can use that as a judge (it has 287k on it)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online