Looking for insane power

Evildriver-3

Reaction score
Ok got a new twin turbo C-15 (928"c.i.) Cat motor in a 04 Pete, it has a 18 spd, has anyone tried any of the same things the lil truck guys (no offense but you are smaller) do with them on a working truck.

Anyone?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not being familiar with that motor... Is it computer controled? If so, im sure companies could up the power..... Van Akken makes boxes for farm tractors, I can't see why they would not for over the roaders.....

One would think propane would help..... Are egts a worry with large trucks since they have larger exhausts????

Evildriver-3

Reaction score
Yeah the motor is comp controlled it is upped to 600hp now, they are adjustable from 475 to 625, but doing anything to the comp outside of Cat doing it might be a problem, unless someone knows for sure

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
There used to be a box that plugged into the computer harness floating around on the market, said it added 30% onto whatever was already there... What do you need more than 600HP in a truck for? I always thought that 475 was more than respectable, and 550 was badass...

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Have you had the turbo mounting bolts replaced, yet? If not, keep an eye on them.

The C-15 ACERT suffers terribly, from the catalyst mufflers. Boss's other nephew reported 3.8 mpg before he parked them in the corner, and put on straight-thru's.

From what we've learned, the ACERT seems to make power at lower rpm, than the old C-15's. Hope you got 3.08's or 3.36', because our 3.70's arent working out too well. Even on tall rubber.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Legend around here

There's a story which seems to resurface every one in a while, about a guy who lived around here. Seems his rig had a twin turbo Cat V-8. Not a 3208, a BIG one. Story goes, that he could overpower the clutch, in double over, with a load on.
The story always ends with, "I don't recall his name. I wonder where he went, anyhow?"

Sounds like good project for Urban Legends, too me.

Evildriver-3

Reaction score
Originally posted by dieseldummy
... What do you need more than 600HP in a truck for? I always thought that 475 was more than respectable, and 550 was badass...

I liked the 550's and the 600's but i still wanted more then, problem is i don't do freight, i do dump trailer work/ construction the loads weigh 40 tons at the least

PackRat No the truck has 4.10, actually i find if it isn't all wound up it isn't making the grade, when it's light it's a different story, but loaded if you start shifting below 1900 it takes to to long to get it back up, i find keeping it all reved up better. No loose turbo bolts yet

I had the exhaust disconected right at the split to the stacks under the truck, seemed to make very little difference, lol woke everyone up though on the engine brake and 50 lbs of boost.

The older V motors were great

DSteinel

Reaction score
Get ahold of pittsburg power they make boxes and other upgrades for big trucks. They have ads in all the big trucking mags. Dean

sub zero

Reaction score
Originally posted by Evildriver-3
I liked the 550's and the 600's but i still wanted more then, problem is i don't do freight, i do dump trailer work/ construction the loads weigh 40 tons at the least

Where in ny are you from and who do you haul for? I've loaded a lot of dump trailers. Mainly from Albany to Rochester.

Ggg

Reaction score
Another idea is to see if a Cat tech can do a Fire apparatus calibration to your engine it can boost h/p up 30-50h/p (depending on specific engine) over what is offered as max h/p to regular trucks.

Evildriver-3

Reaction score
I work in NYC area the 5 boro's and long island, very rarely do i hit orange county. Mostly site work and once in a while sand into a concrete plant for someone needing a few loads in.

I'll check out pittsburg power.

Cat might have a warranty issue with that, but next time im over there i'll ask

Strokin_A_Duramax

TS Performance Groupie
Reaction score
Power????

Hey got a question for ya.....My 2000 Pete has a 550hp. Cat in it. Is it a 3406E? It came from the factory with 550hp......also what is the highest you can turn it up? Also the other day when I was driving it.....it started blowing alot of smoke at take off.....:D ....Black Smoke.....It never does that it would at best just blow a slight puff.......Man she would blow thick black columns of black smoke then clear up every time I shifted......It was cool...I think I spent most of the time looking in thew mirrors....Anyway the truck ran fine....awesome power.....egts...boost....all fine. Then it stopped and went back to the way it was....Strange.....Any ideas guys?.....:yell:

Last edited:

Evildriver-3

Reaction score
I would think you might have a injector /computer problem, since the comp controls the fuel delivery, you can should be able to turn a 550 up to 600 after that im not sure, you need a program or a cat mechanic, if you do it yourself it will void the warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online