Looking for a late-production 6.9 engine

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With Christmas vacation ahead of me, I'm back on the hunt. I'm looking for a good rebuildable 6.9, preferably a later production block casting, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a good 6.9 of any ilk. I live in Austin, so somewhere in central Texas, but for the right deal I'd drive to LA, AR, OK, NM.

Anyway, let me know if you're looking to get rid of one.

Thanks!

Craig

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im about an hour an half from you, its tough trying to fine a rebuildable 6.9 in this area, most are 7.3s. I have 5 or 6 7.3s if you want that, dont have any 6.9s.

HarryLodge

Reaction score
I am about 50 miles east of Little Rock Arkansas and have a 1984 complete 6.9 if you are interested.

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Harry--
Is it/was it a running engine?
Do you know where it came from--in other words--was the block heater often used?
And...how much do you want for it?

HarryLodge

Reaction score
I really don't know. I acquired it from an impound yard. It is complete with everything except the alternator. Give me a couple of days, when it quits this infernal raining, and I will see if it will fire up. If it sounds ok make me an offer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing for you "holy grail" chasers to consider.....better make sure which style oil squirters are in the block. the "press in" ones are seriously hard to find new replacements these days. The squirters must be removed for any boring/honing operation. when you tear them out, you must press back in new ones.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 84 block will have the press in style oil squirters.

Most likely.

1985.5 - 1987 are the good 6.9s.

Older IDIs are somewhat more prone to block and head cracking, while later ones are prone to overheating and cavitation.

1987 would be the holy grail, because you have the nicer rocker arm design, better automatic glow plug system, and still have the best block of all the IDIs.

Only real big advantage of the later 7.3's is they have thicker head bolts, so they can handle more turbo boost.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL no argument here. Mine's studded, but I still can't really tempt fate with my ATS088 setup even if I wanted to.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 86 that I am parting out. It ran 2 yrs ago when I parked it. The truck was from MI and is now in WY, so I'm sure it got block heater use. The C6, transfer case and dually axle are spoken for.

It is an 86 chassis with a 91 cab