Looking for a # 8 rod for 6.9

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I know it doesn't have to be #8 just would like it to be because they will all match. The existing ones have part # 180561C1 cast in. Need this to be from a known running engine that has never been hydrolocked as far as we know. Important to me I know the history of the engine it came out of. Let me know if you can help me out, see my 1000 mile new engine disaster thread for why! Thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a assembled 6.9 sitting on the ground. ran poorly when pulled. yours if you want it, I was going to pull the cam for Russ and chuck the rest.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad towcat stepped up. For others reading this... ANY non turbo idi rod fits both the 6.9 and 7.3 engines. If you wanted a custom turbo piston for the 6.9 you could use the turbo rods in the 6.9. To add something more. The non turbo rod has a 28mm pin where the turbo rod has a 33mm pin. Now the really odd thing is the early psd engine rods are the same length and both ends are the same diameter as the idi turbo rods. Sad part is the big end is about 130 thousands wider so they will not fit the crank. I purchased a set of psd rods thinking they might work. But after measuring them nope.... Also mine are the REAL forged type and not the powered metal type psd rods.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. 9" grinder will fix that .065 per side excess lickety-split!
I'm not sure I'd do it that imprecisely, considering you want to keep the weight the same.

Justin @ R&D did this mod, but he had a machine shop modify them with a CNC[mill].

Personally, I'd just build a little fixture to keep one flat and square, and just skim cut it with a facemill. Easily done on a manual mill.
It wouldn't be hard to hold .002 width across all 8.

(speaking of which, I am looking for a set of PSD forged rods for a decent price to try this out on)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd do it that imprecisely, considering you want to keep the weight the same.

Justin @ R&D did this mod, but he had a machine shop modify them with a CNC[mill].

Personally, I'd just build a little fixture to keep one flat and square, and just skim cut it with a facemill. Easily done on a manual mill.
It wouldn't be hard to hold .002 width across all 8.

(speaking of which, I am looking for a set of PSD forged rods for a decent price to try this out on)
Send me a pm about my set of forged pad rods. They are factory rebuilt rods in Ford Factory packaging box's.