Looking for 7.3l wiring harness

pointb912

Reaction score
So I started looking for a new wiring harness for my 1987 f350 7.3l , mine is pretty tore up between rats and melted wires, sat for at least 6 years, so instead of trying to piece it back together im just going to find a new one,

Here's what I have found out and looking for

I need the Lower section of engine harness from the firewall connector that is one single plug, goes from there around the motor to the passenger side and connects to the glow plug connector and also the solenoid on the fender. also has the headlight wiring in it.

I found one at the junk yard locally but the wiring did not match up due to the fact that I have a c6 and this had another auto tranny in it.
so im pretty sure I am looking for harness that had a c6 in it

pm me for any info needed or leads, or motivation to try to fixed the exiting harness

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI this also connects to the chassis wiring.

i bought a EZ wiring kit,
im redoing my F350 from scratch.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need an 87, it's a one year only harness from what I have seen, 88-89 (added drl, 7.3l, new fuel water separator ) is another and 90-91 (added E4od) is another harness.
I have one from an 87 6.9 c6, I'll have to check the condition of it but it's not too bad from what I recall.
I'm in Canada so shipping maybe brutal just fyi

pointb912

Reaction score
I did a little research, Vin from my trucks says that it came with a 6.9l idi but now has a 7.3l so somewhere along the way someone has replaced the motor, does anyone know how similar the 2 wiring harness are to each other

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a little research, Vin from my trucks says that it came with a 6.9l idi but now has a 7.3l so somewhere along the way someone has replaced the motor, does anyone know how similar the 2 wiring harness are to each other
On the passenger side of the engine there is a wiring harness that goes from the frame to engine. There is a plug in between that is either a 8 pin grey (6.9) or 12 pin black (7.3)

More then likely they switched the engine harness from the 6.9 when they put in the 7.3 or its all spliced together with extra wires hanging loose.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people think they need a "harness" for these trucks. I just got my new harness in the mail today - it's a big roll of wire, a bunch of solder/crimp connections, and some heat shrink tubing. Also all new switches and relays. Vehicle wiring does not get any simpler than an old Ford with a mechanical diesel motor. Also, the OEM wiring from Ford is always PATHETIC, no reason to ever copy it, and a 30 year old harness from a junkyard is nothing but scrap copper. Do not waste your time putting that in your truck!

What could be so complicated? You need a source of ignition on and always hot power. A few fuse box is also cheap and easy to find, though I'm replacing all my fuses with breakers.

The always hot side needs connections for headlights, starter solenoid, and brake lights.
Ignition hot side needs connections for fuel cut off, glow plug relay or manual glows, blinkers, and any accessories you might want.

Main battery cables are also very easy to reconstruct in such a way that you get more power to the starter than a brand new set of Ford cables.

That's it. Probably less than 100 feet of wire in total...

If you're talking about a 2009 Powerstroke, then yeah, you need a "harness" or it will probably never run. Not a '87...

Last edited: